1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plugging in a microphone (the headset kind)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fetch_Man, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

Hi. I just bought a new headset that comes with a microphone attached to the headset near the earphones. There are 2 plugs that come out of each ear phone, but I don't know which one goes into the microphone input on my computer, or which one goes into the speaker. Or am I wrong? Please help, one of the wire plug things is red, the other is black. I want to be able to use my microphone as well as headphone at the same time.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Most likely the red one will be the mic.

If you get it the wrong way round it just won't work. Its unlikely to damage anything.

Some issues to note however.

Most computers use a condenser type microphone, and a dynamic type will not work.
    Are you sure that yours is the right type? (Condenser type is also called an "electret" mic.)

Most "speaker" outputs on PC's are actually "line out" level, and the speakers are usually amplified.

If you plug in a headphone to the "line out" socket, it will be very low in volume.

3. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

Hi. That doesn't work. I unplug my speakers and put the headphone wires into the plug. Then I can hear sounds out of the headphones, although the microphone will not work (and it is plugged into the "pink" slot with the icon of the microphone pic). I have tried many different ways. Please help. Thank you.

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It sounds like it is plugged in correctly. Red usually always indicates the microphone. And they usually have a tiny mark indented on it symbolizing a mic or headphones.

You might wanna check in your volume control, that the microphone is checked. (in both playback and recording)

Is the mic muted?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice