Plugging in CAT5 Cable kills dial tone

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pcar1947

Hi all,

New to this forum and I am sorry for this long post.

In 1998 I had house built that included a Lucent Homestar Wiring System ( Series SC200).

Up until know I have provided a Wireless network throughout the 3level house with some pretty good success. I thought I would take advantiage of the Homestar features which were suppose to allow me to use a wired Network through the house.

So i Bought a Linksys Cable Router and a Linksys Switch. I moved the Cable Mdem to the Basement where the HomestarBox is located. Hooked up theHomestar to the cable modem pluggd into to the router. Hooked up the router into the switch . From the swicth plugged into the Homestar Panel. (BTW Had my laptop hooked into the same switch using cat5 cable and I was able to surf internet)

The phonejack are dual mode allowing me to plug in a cat5 cable or a rj11.

Questions:

Does anyone have any experience with Homestar?:confused:
Am I missing something in my Setup or my Logic?:confused:

As I said in my profile I know enough to be dangerous. I have built my own computers and setup and troubleshooted wireless networks, Also do room to room sharing of 2 tivos over a wireless g network.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Happy New Year

Paul in ATL

PS if this post does not match this forum please feel free to suggest the correct forum. THanks:eek:

While I'm not familiar with Homestar, you can't run a network on the same physical cabling as your phone line.

Most home wiring like you describe, allows you to use the plug for phone or networking, but not both . . you may have to do a little rewireing to separate the runs you want to use for phone and the ones you want to use for networking

If they installed a patch panel in your home you can use CAT5 runs for either phone or data. You just have to find the termination point and ensure the jack you are using is meant to be a data port.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Remember that Ethernet cables are point-to-point, and most phone wiring is daisy-chained. Make sure you're actually using a wiring scheme that's compatible with Ethernet networking.

If the phone cuts out when you plug the network cable in, you are probably putting the 50VDC phone line potential onto the NIC's, they won't stand for much of that! You need to review how that panel is wired before you start plugging your computers into it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online