1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plugging/unplugging sound devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zygmo, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Hey guys. I ran into a little problem recently, and would like to share it.
    I know it is supposedly ok to plug USB cables in and out while the computer is on, but, to be safe I have always gone through the Safely Remove Hardware icon.
    For some reason, though, I have always felt it is safe to just plug sound devices in and out with no regard to whether the computer is on or not. Have done this for years.
    However, I noticed a few days ago that one channel of my onboard sound line input had quit, on my newest MB. I did not realize this for awhile, because somehow the system had just rerouted the one channel into both sides, when writing to the CD or DVD. (I noticed that Joe Walsh appeared to be playing an unplugged guitar on the Eagles Hell Freezes Over concert after transferring from my old VHS tape to DVD, even though both speakers were working! LOL)
    Anyway...I fixed the problem by just installing a sound card. (by the way, even a cheap $14.00 sound card is at least as good as most onboard sound: mine sounds much better than the original.)
    So, would you guys advise having the computer turned off, even to plug in headphones, for instance?

2. BG-0

BG-0

No, 1/8" jacks can freely be plugged/unplugged while the computer is on, and when you're outputting sound.
    As to why the jack went dead, couöd've been just natural death of age, removing the plug at an extreme angle and damaging the jack, etc...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!