1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plumax/Maxtor 2.0 USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Insaino, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insaino

Insaino Thread Starter

I recently oredered a Plumax 2.0 USB external hard drive to help my dad back up his laptop. However I'm unsure exatly how to format the dirve or get it working. Being USB i tried just plugging it into the computer, and was were notified of it running at a reduced speed due to USB 1.0 on our computers. It aslo detected and installed new USB Mass storage device hardware. However it does not show up under My computer as a drive. Under device manager the maxtor HD shows up and says it is working properly, and also it shows up in the USB as mass storage device. I run Win XP and was wondering if i need to format this thing or if its broken? Thanks a bunch

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The drive is working fine. The reduced speed message is normal when you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 port.

As far as the drive not appearing, it's not formatted! :) Right click on My Computer, select Manage. Select Disk Manager, and find the USB drive in the drive list. Right click on the drive and select Format. When you get done, it'll show up in My Computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/136176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice