1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

plz help been having problem for 2 months

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scot279, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scot279

scot279 Thread Starter

i am new to this forum...so i dont know if this is the right catagorie....but here is my whole story...plz help!

This is a problem with my computer crashing when playin games

ok i had a friend build me a custom made computer....and he loaded windows ME on it. I realized this OS was crap so i upgraded to windows XP at a friends lan. This is where all the trouble began. So i loaded my favorite game (counter-strike) on my new XP operating system and after 2 minutes of playin it would crash wit an error note. I tried and tried playing again but still had errors after 2-5 minutes of playing.

Next i decided to clear out XP and go to 2k pro......still same crashing problem while playin games.

Next i went back to ME thinking all would be better if i went back to when it worked fine. NO still same problem

Then one day i bump computer and it shuts off and from then on my computer shuts off with even the slightest touch. So i take it to the local computer store and the guy tells me the mobo wasnt properly screwed in and connected or something like that and says that this was probably the reason why my computer crashes while playing game.------- well it fixed the nudging and turning off problem but games still crash!

I Reformatted wit various OS's time and time and stil had problem.
    So finally i thought well it could be a ram issue. So a friend let me borrow a stick of 256 pc3500 mushkin ram.

YES YES it worked fine for 2 whole days of use........and wit 2 long days of gaming i figured i have finally found the problem. So i bought 2 x 256 stick of Kingston hyper x 3000 ram, (i also bought a second hard drive...b/c my old hard drive was only 40gb)

ok so hard drive and ram arrive on same day and i install both....i start up a game and 45 minutes into play my computer restarts without an error message juss completly restarts. So i change the slot of my ram on the motherboard and that solved the restarting problem.

Now i start a game back up again and it juss crashes anywhere from 5-45 minutes. sometimes i play a long time b4 a crash happens or repeats over and over 5 minutes everytime i start up a game.

So i dont think its the ram anymore since the stuff i got is brand new but i dont know why my friends ram worked fine for 2 days?

ALL this stuff has happend over a 2 month period where i have been to local computer stores and worked hard on tryin to solve the problem but it never gets fixed.

If anyone knows wats wrong....how to help....or wat to do.....plz respond to this post or

email me at [email protected]

or IM me

Scot279

2. McTimson

McTimson

Have you looked into an overheating problem? Try running it with the side of the case off, and maybe even a fan pointing towards it. Also, make sure all the fans in the case are working correctly.

It could also be a faulty power supply...what make/model is your PSU, and what is its' max wattage?

Oh, and when you reformatted and reinstalled all those times, did you remember to install the latest drivers for the motherboard and video card?

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Sounds like overheating. How about some system specs?

4. scot279

scot279 Thread Starter

wow thx for the fast responses guys........im pretty sure i reinstalled all the latest drivers when i did that stuff.........atleast they are now.

As for power supply this is a new power supply i have in...i believe it is 350 watts.....and the cpu temp averages at 110F while case temp is at 80F

5. n2gun

n2gun

those temperatures will go up quite a bit when you are playing an intense game. If possible take the cover off the case and place a fan to blow into the case. This will help it run cooler. Then try the game to see if it crashes. If it does not, look to see if you can add some case fans.

6. scot279

scot279 Thread Starter

ok well i found out something interesting.

i took off the side of the case and unplugged the new 2nd hard drive that i have and took out one stick of 256 mb ram.

i decided to only try it wit one stick in cuz when i used my friends ram and it worked it only had one stick in also.

good news it works fine wit one stick. BUt then i put the second stick in and my games crashed! then i swapped the sticks to make sure that both worked. and each one in by itself worked fine.

ALso i have tried putting the one stick on different slots on the mobo and it works fine.

so i am wondering why only one stick works and not 2?
    could it be that one stick affects my computer just enough to over heat it to where my games crash?

anyway this is kinda bizarre if u all could respond back that would be great.

thx

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Are both of you ram modules the same brand or are they from different manufacturers?

8. scot279

scot279 Thread Starter

both are the same

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Give us a little info about your system. MOBO, CPU, OS,

10. scot279

scot279 Thread Starter

ok i got

amd athlon xp 2500+ processor

Giga-byte 8x agp mobo

windows xp pro

40gb matxor hard drive
    120 gb seagate barracuda

2 x 256 kingston hyper x 3000

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried putting the ram into someone elses machine to see if they work together elsewhere? Which Mobo do you have? I like Gigiabyte also. Dont hear too many people recommend them but I really have had quite good luck with them.

12. SacsTC

SacsTC

Scot,
    You never did say what mobo is installed, but you may want to try going into the bios and changing the RAS-to-CAS delay to 3.

(Note: The Intel 865P chipset, a low end version of 865PE, is not qualified by Intel to support DDR400. DDR333 modules should be used on motherboards with the Intel 865P chipset.)

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You are running a 333Mhz system there if you have not overclocked. I noticed that the ram you mention is 370MHz Ram. I shouldnt think that would cause any problems. Have you thought of trying a single 512Mb stick of ram and seeing how it works.

14. scot279

scot279 Thread Starter

my mobo is a giga-byte 7NL400-L

I moved the my two sticks of ram around into differnt slots and now its worked fine for a day.

im pretty sure its workin for good now, but thanks to every1 who responded to my post tryin to help me out!

thx scott

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/192196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice