1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Plz Help !sloooooowwwww comp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blueandmagenta, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blueandmagenta

blueandmagenta Thread Starter

my computer is horribly slow even after doing multiple things to improve its performance such as scan disk, defrag, clearing cache, adware/spyware scans, disk cleanup, installing adobe flash and shockwave players and java. At first it seemed to help but now I hardly get performance results. I also get "insufficient virtual memory" messages even after increasing it to 500mb. I'm running out of options here. please help

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

In your computer specs, is 192 MB of RAM right?

3. mattistech

mattistech

If you still have your windows install cd then you can fix it by:
    step 1:backup important data online or on a cd/usb
    step 2: doing a fresh install of your system

NOTE: if you have windows xp then you dont need a disk because there is an installer included. you can find it by going to C and looking for a folder named I386 or something like that

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    How much actual ram do you have? If its 192mb i cant even see how its going to run xp at all and that might explain why the computer is so slow.Adding more ram to it to at least 512mb or more i think will speed things up quite a bit.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to these computer specifications:

Acer laptop TravelMate 2312LCi_L Intel celeron M 360 (1.4ghz, 400mhz FSB, 1mb L2 cache) 111Gb HDD, 1Gb DDR, 192Mo RAM windows xp sp3

I'm not sure if that laptop has 1 GB or 192 MB of RAM.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties. How much RAM is listed?

I believe the correct model number is 2312NLCi - which supports up to 1 GB of DDR PC2700(DDR333) RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. blueandmagenta

I've listed all the specs found on the original sticker on my laptop except for the hard drive and memory card which have been replaced to an upgrade(due to hard drive crashing). I've also noticed that one other problem causing the slowness of my laptop was temperature overheating >.< as I shut it down and let it cool down a couple hours when I restart it goes slightly better. Any other tips are welcome

7. blueandmagenta

my laptop might have gotten confused as to what the specs used to be with original purchase and what has been changed. If Ram and memory sticks are the same then I now have 1gb of memory not 192mg. I get slightly confused with all these numbers and spec details. and what is DDR? I might have put the wrong size for that too as on my sticker that number is 256Mb

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    DDR refers to the ram.Since you have xp check under my computer then system information it will tell you how much ram is really in there.If its over heating it might need cleaned out. that certainly isnt going to help things any.If you dont have the correct ram modules in there its not going to run right.

9. blueandmagenta

What happened is that I was told my hard disk crashed so I had it replaced/upgraded and memory increased by professional tech. I don't know if he cleaned the laptop or not but the battery gets really hot (manufacture defect I assume). I also forgot to mention that when I restart my comp I will sometimes get "THE BLUE SCREEN OF DREAD" telling me of an error and that I might have to upgrade my BIOS and disable cache and shading but I want advice before taking any kind of drastic action like that.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like you have a whole lot of problems with a very old laptop. I suggest you stop putting money into it and start saving for a new one. You can get a decent, basic laptop for $400.

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Until you can get a new laptop you can maybe try getting another battery and add more ram if it already hasnt been done and see if that can get you by in the meantime until this one can be replaced.I dont know what this tech did to your computer but he did you a diservice if he didnt even explain what he really did to it.I wouldnt advise flashing or updating the BIOS unless you are skilled enough to do so. One wrong move and it could be goodbye computer.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I would not waste money on a new battery or more RAM.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree. You'll possibly spend $200.00 or more for a new battery and more RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------

14. blueandmagenta

so I guess I tough my comp out as it iss 'till I can save up for a new one :s thanks anyways to all who answered

15. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The only other thing you can do if you cant afford a new one right now is maybe see if you can find a good used laptop with windows xp in it.There is a lot of good used ones out there.I have quite a few laptops that ive bought used and they work just fine and have been trouble free.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice