plz help with a few problems - i guess hardware related

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andywarhol

im running windows xp prof sp2

and i just reinstalled it, so everything is basically default stuff, but here are some things i cant figure out how to change:

if i get an error, or i hold down backspace until u cant backspace anymore, or you hold some kind of arrow button until its at the end, the computer makes a beep, its not like a .wav file beep being pumped through the speakers, its an actual beep, like the beeping from a modem....and it beeps when i get errors or i hold my backspace down and when the cursor hits the edge of the screen (nothing left to erase), it just starts beeping, and it beeps when other things like the aformentioned take place.

how do i make it so that when i hit the power button on my computer, it just comes to the desktop.....i have no password for my user account (which is the admin account)....but everytime i turn on the computer, i have to click my little icon at the welcome page, then it shows the desktop....i dont wanna have to do this every time...

next to the power button on my computer is a little "i" button....and i know u can configure this button to do whatever u want....cuz i have before...like for example, when pushed, it might open the internet.....ok but i forget how to get to the appropriate place where i can set it to what i want.....

oh and lastly the most crucial issue...
i need some ideas on how to modify/alter/configure my display properties (?) cuz something is messing up....what would happen is, say i want to drag a window across the screen, it lags badly, and jumps like playing a computer game at 1 fps....kinda bad.....so then i did the help for microsoft....and they suggested going to display properties >> settings tab >> advanced >> troubleshoot >> then moving the hardware acceleration thing all the way to the left (none)....this helped a little....in that there is less "lag" if i drag a window, or scroll down my internet browser....however.....it still is bad enough that i want to fix it....if i hold the down arrow button down on my internet browser, to scroll down a long webpage.....its not....how shall i say...smooth....it kinda jumps....but its different from like the jumping u get when u use the scroll wheel on a mouse, and u set it to jump a set number of lines each semi-rotation of the wheel...no its considerably different.....anyways:
suggestions for that, would be appreciated

thanks

andywarhol

ok i guess i have one more problem:

next to the clock in the system tray, i have no little speaker icon....(yes the tray is in expanded view) and the sound is not working for some reason....if i play a song....normally i can change the volume using keyboard keys....but that doesnt work either.....is there any other way to access the sound panel....that classic grey box with the veritcal lines, and the squares u pull up and down along the vertical track......yea....or anything like that.....or maybe is there a way to just see if i have sound at all?

Can you please check your device manager if there is a yellow exclamation mark beside the Sound, video controllers. If there is you might have to download the driver for it. Please download everest home edition to find out what motherboard you have and wew ill go from there.

andywarhol

um in my device manager, there is a yellow exclamation point under the category "other devices" next to "multimedia audio controller" and "video controll(VGA compatible)"....when i look at each's properties, and click the button "driver details" for each, both times it says "no files have been installed for this driver" or something, so apparently they arent installed? the update wizard cant find any updates online, and my xp disc doesnt have any either, so where do i get them?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Load the motherboard drivers, then the device drivers for the sound and video controllers. What make/model of motherboard is this?

Rukee

Banned
after you install XP, you need to install the motherboard chipset drivers, DirectX9.0c, and the video card drivers. The chipset drivers should be on an install CD you got from the motherboard box, or you should be able to get them from the manufacturers website, same with the video card drivers, find them at the manufacture`s site that made the card. DirectX9.0c can be found at MS site or by googling it.
*edit* JohnWill, you`re just too fast! :p

andywarhol

ook i found my driver cd, and i installed the video/audio things...and now my audio works, so that is fixed...im not sure if my video thing is completely fixed.....at least the driver files exist now....and it seems to be a little bit better.....but could anybody address my lesser problems plz?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Why don't you reiterate the remaining issues in an itemized list, so we know what we're still looking at.

andywarhol

on xp pro sp2, when my computer is on, and i hit the power button, the computer shuts off....i want it so that when i hit the power button, i got the box in the middle of the screen with the 4 options: standby, shutdown, restart, then the little cancel box.....
does anybody know how to get to that part of xp where i can do those configurations on keyboard keys?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online