1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PM Thingy.........

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Dark Star, Dec 9, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

Some if not most of you here use the PM feature at the very least from time to time........
    Mike has been good enough and kind enough to increase the Max allowable # of PMs we can have by default to 150 and that is been great, Mike thank you once again for that.......

This may be an easy request as well I dunno so I'm asking.

At the bottom of the PM thingy I see the following......

"Options.........

Automatically parse URLs: automatically adds and around internet addresses.

Show Signature: include your profile signature. Only registered users may have signatures.

Save a copy: Also save a copy in the 'Sent Items' folder.

Request Read Receipt: Allows you to check whether your message has been read by the recipient."

..........here is my question, I for one don't need my signature line in a PM as I usually know the person and it just further digs into the "character limit"

I also don't need a copy in the 'Sent Items' folder as that is kind of redundant don't you think?........I mean what for?

'Request Read Receipt' I see no use for this feature either I mean there is so much flying around as it is what need do I have to know that it has been read...........none as far as I can see, it's like what am I gonna do (send another?) if they've not read it anyway?

What I propose is either get rid of these three items altogether or let us set them up individually by our own preferences in the user cp. This is just my opinion and there may be some agreement and or other opinions as well.
    I'm trying to keep it simple and easy to use. IOW, I think the key here is simplicity.

BTW, if you are using PMs quite a bit, and you reply and you get the over 2000 character popup thingy.........you can simply delete previous text from the original message body until you are under the 2000 character limit and it will send just fine.

So Mike, as if you didn't have enough to do as it is here is yet one more thing to at least consider............Don't ya just love being The Tech Guy?

DS

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Speaking of PM's... is there anyway to stop someone from sending you messages other than "deny" ?

Savvy :)

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I just found a way to put them on ignore... I shouldn't have to worry about PM's now should I?

Savvy :)

4. hewee

hewee

Dark Star,

"What I propose is either get rid of these three items altogether or let us set them up individually by our own preferences in the user cp."

You can do that now by checking or unchecking the boxes.;)

5. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

hewee,

Yes you can, the thing is they won't stay unchecked and it would be nice if they did much like the ones at the bottom of this page.....

Options:

Automatically parse URLs: automatically adds and around internet addresses.

Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible.

Disable Smilies in This Post

Show Signature: include your profile signature. Only registered users may have signatures.

.........For instance I have the first and last checked and it will stay that way unless I change it.

DS

6. hewee

hewee

Dark Star,

Ok I got ya.

I never do anything to the boxes so I will take your word that there is a default setting that keeps changing what changes you made.
    And you want to keep the same settings for each post you make.
    There did I get that right.:D

7. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

hewee,

That is excactly correct, the defaut is pre-set and if you change it to your liking once it will reset it self back to the pre-set........
    ..........I just need to slow down a bit and remember to uncheck the Show the signature line and make a copy of what I just sent one.

DS

8. hewee

hewee

Great I got that one this time around.
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

9. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

Dark Duck....PICKY...PICKY......Must be the California Air....Makes you so lazy you can't click on a box to uncheck it:D

10. Dark Star

Dark Star Thread Starter

JH,

How about leaving them unchecked (all four of 'em) and you can just check what it is you want or need.

Now, who's being lazy Mr. Empty your PM box it's FULL AGAIN Geoffrey?........:D

DS

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice