1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pncrt.dll Still Misssing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kmcma2002, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

I downloaded the pncrt.dll file and a winzip program however I am unsure how to open the file so it is working and how to save it so it keeps working. any suggestions?

2. brindle

brindle

You don't open the *.dll file you put it in your C:\windows\system dir.
    Three minutes after you asked this question you were off line, I'd like to know why?

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

M$ says this is a Real Audio Player file and suggests you remove and reinstall the product.

4. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

after I install it how do I move it to that file you suggested? I was offline three minutes after I asked because I did not expect any one to reply so very quickly to my question! Do you stay in this forum all day? :) Thank you for responding quickly I have several problems with my computer and am trying to resolve them before I break the dang thing. God Bless!

5. brindle

brindle

pncrt.dll probably is D\led as a zip file because a txt file is included. Click on the zip file and "winzip" will open there you will see your dll. file. I drag the window corner to make it smaller then drag and drop the file to my desktop. there right click on it, cut and paste in windows\system Dir.

Hope this helps

My only point was when asking a question it's a good idea to stay online more than a few minutes.

Thank you for the God Bless I needed that.

PS Cybertech has a good point it is associated with real player and the best resolution my be to reinstall, leave it to M$.
    When are they going to start charging for those constant updates and patches?

6. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thanks I will try this later when I get time. thanks again for your time and much needed and appreciated help. I LOVE this forum!!

7. brindle

brindle

your welcome and please let us know if your problem was resolved.

8. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

I tired to do what you said to do however it did not work because I still get the pncrt.dll file still missing window at start up. thanks for your time though.......

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What was it you tried to do, reinstall Real Player or copy the pncrt.dll file to c:\windows\system ?

Is the file currently there (the .dll, not the .zip file, mind you)?

10. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

I tried to do both but do not want real player and tried to unistall but could not get access to that file either. I have the .dll file on my desktop and I think it is in my windows system too....... therefore i am doing something wrong when I try to copy it to my systems file and I also tired to download it to my systems file which I am also not doing correctly thanks for your time

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the file is on your desktop, but you are not sure it is in c:\windows\system try this

1 -- go to Start, Run and enter: command (a DOS prompt window should open)

2 --at the DOS prompt, type this exactly and press "enter" at the end. Note any error message.

copy c:\windows\desktop\pncrt.dll c:\windows\system

Then close the DOS prompt window, restart and see if you still get the error message.

12. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

I did exactly what you said to do and it stated that 1 file was copied........however after I restarted it I still had the error message stating that the file is missing...........

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You say you could not get access to Real Player to uninstall it. Does that mean it is not listed in Add/Remove programs, or that there was an error message when you tried to remove it?

Actually I don't think just uninstalling Real Player without reinstalling it will necessarily resolve the problem as it appears to be a "shared" dll.

Could you give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog, so we can see just what is trying to startup. Since you don't want Real Player, maybe we can just remove it from startups.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

And could you also run regedit and click Edit > Find. Then enter: pncrt.dll and click Find Next.

Hit f3 to continue searches till complete. Just note and verify the path that is being looked for for pncrt.dll. If any are different than c:\windows\system make a note of that.

14. kmcma2002

kmcma2002 Thread Starter

thank you for your time.
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 9:35:47 PM, on 9/27/03
    Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2919.6304)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\Patrol\CP.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\ic.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\GWHOTKEY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSCHED.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\REMINDER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GREETINGS WORKSHOP\GWREMIND.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\OSA.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.iowatelecom.net/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.IowaTelecom.net
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.IowaTelecom.net
    F1 - win.ini: load=c:\patrol\cp.exe ic.exe
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Multi-function Keyboard] GWHotKey.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VsecomrEXE] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSECOMR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSchedule] C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSCHED.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ClickTheButton] "C:\Program Files\BonziBUDDY\CTB.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [winmodem] WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Vshwin32EXE] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PPWebCap] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SCANSOFT\PAPERPORT\PPWebCap.exe
    O4 - Startup: EPSON Background Monitor.lnk = C:\ESM2\Stms.exe
    O4 - Startup: Greetings Workshop Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Qshelf.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Reference\Bookshelf 98\qshelf98.exe
    O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O4 - Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_SRCV03.EXE
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {591A09D0-6299-11D2-845B-00A0C955B0C1} (GWNet.ctlGWNet) - file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\GWNet.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37881.5997685185
    O16 - DPF: {B991DA79-51F7-4011-98D2-1F2592E82A56} - http://b.harrispollonline.com/scripts/scywebMT.dll/Version=2,0,4,0
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/76808a0e7ae82f/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

I tired to unistall the real player with the option unistall replayer then also tired to do it in the add and remove but could not obtain access to the install.? folder............

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are not going to be using RealPlayer, try checking and "fixing" this entry in the HijackThis Scanlog.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER

By the way "Bonzi Buddy" is classified as "Spyware". You might want to check and fix that as well, or perhaps install, UPDATE, and run a spy and advertising wares cleaner such as Spbot.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index1.html

If you want to use RealPlayer, I would suggest trying to update it. The user interface contains a "check for updates" option under the Preferences > "Upgrade" tab.

I'm not sure if opening RealPlayer will cause the "startup" entry to be re-enabled. If it does you must make sure that under RealPlayer's View> Preferences > Start Center > Settings, "Enable Start Center" is UNchecked.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice