1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PnP NIC installation causes "RESOURCE CONFLICT"...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webzter, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi;

Installed new Netgear FA-312 PnP Nic in a Dell Dimension as part of a DSL connection. After physical installation of the card, PC booted-up and following error message received...."RESOURCE CONFLICT PCI NETWORK CONTROLLER".....including the....."BUS:00....DEVICE:0E....FUNCTION:00".

Went ahead and entered sytem to desktop. PnP DID recognize the card but I elected not to do installation given error message received @ boot-up. Went into "System Information" to "conflicts" and "Problem Devices". The same conflict was noted as follows...."Device - IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI STEERING...
    PNP DEVICE - PCI\IRQ HOLDER\61....ERROR CODE - 22"....

I've never had an occasion to correct a problem in this area and I'm totally out of my element here and don't have a clue what to do- would appreciate any and all help!

Many thanks in advance-
    Webz

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The first thing to do is to try the card in another PCI slot.

It might also be worthwhile to see if you might already have a Network card integrated into the motherboard, some Dimension's have one in which case you do not need the Netgear card.

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

triple6...I feel pretty thick- you're right- never thought to check in there was a card "on-board", but then wouldnt there still have to be a connection point on the chasis somewhere and I cant seem to find one- didnt think about using another slot, either. I'll check it out and return- many thanks for the look-
    Regards
    Webz

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Triple6....You're good! While there wasn't anything to be found in the way at least of an accessable "on-board" device, I did move the Nic to another PCI slot- and bingo! Spec-wise, PCI slots are supposed to be the same, so might the first one I used be defective? (just curious- if they're all supposed to be the same than they shouldnt be able to descriminate from one device to another, right?)

Anyway, appreciate the assist very much- nothing like getting away from a dial-up connection- Have a great weekend , and thanks again!
    Regards
    Webz

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, not likely defective but some PCI can have Resources assigned to it in the BIOS for specific uses.

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Resolved

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice