1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PNY 8gb Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Balad, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balad

Balad Thread Starter

HELP!!! I just bought a new PNY 8gb thumb drive for my Dell E6400 laptop running XP. It worked great for the first few tries. Today, every time I plug it in the USB port I keep getting "Cannot find HOnEq.Exe"
    I don't know why it's not auto-playing, and allowing me to read the files I put on the thumb drive earlier. But, I can go to My Computer, and right click on the thumbdrive to view the contents. But why did it stop automatically recognize the thumbdrive and why is that warning constantly popping up. There is no virus..I scanned that. All devices appear to be working. Should I return the thumb drive and get a different brand/model? Or is there a simple fix? Also, I checked to update the driver but it said I already had the latest driver. Did something get corrupted? HELP!!!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The most likely situation is that the thumb drive got a virus which was later removed by your antivirus or someone else's. In that case there will still be a file (probably a hidden and system file) called "Autorun.inf". If you delete that file the drive will be back to normal.

In case you don't know, to show hidden and system files go to tools>Folder options>view, check show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide protected Opperating system files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice