1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PNY PC133 "no longer" downward compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joseph King, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

I currently have a PNY 256MB SDRAM 168-pin DIMM in the machine -- PNY's item number 6432ZGSEM4G-CS. It's worked fine for two years. On the original retail package from when I bought it, there's a sticker that says "Also compatible with PC100 & PC66." My motherboard (Abit BE6) wants PC100 per the user's manual.

However, the PNY web site's main desktop memory page currently has a warning saying, "PC133 Modules are NO LONGER backward compatible with PC100 Machines."

What the heck does that mean? If I buy the identical PNY item number to what I now have in the machine (many retailers are carrying the identical item at present), shouldn't it be identical to what I have now? Or are they perhaps now manufacturing them without downward compatibility, yet still using the same part number?

Thanks!

2. aineo

aineo

I assume they are just using the same number although they are no longer backward compatable. I found this out the hard way, fortunately I was able to use the RAM in another machine.

3. Joseph King

Thanks. I thought maybe they just no longer felt it was "reliable enough" to market it that way... and I was hoping if I now go entirely with their strictly PC100 version I may get less crashes.

Oh, well.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Newer RAM modules are using larger capacity memory chips, which changes the number of active address lines vs. the number of chip select lines. Older motherboards were not designed to deal with this change.

5. Joseph King

I'm told the newer types use fewer modules on the DIMM. When I look at the photos on the sites of those selling the same item I now have, it's the same image as what I have now -- eight modules on the visible side. That should be the same, shouldn't it?

Also, I'm told the newer ones that aren't downward compatible will say "PC133 only" on the package. If it doesn't, maybe that's a sign it's okay, too. (Of course, it may even say PC100 and PC66 are okay.)

I'm wondering, though, what's the chance that the memory I have now is faulty and was the reason for the two recent freezes while burning. (I'm assuming that's extremely unlikely.)

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

"freezes while burning. (I'm assuming that's extremely unlikely.)"

Usually the freezes are caused by the burner hardware configuration or the burner software/drivers. If the manuf. numbers/stock numbers are the same, the sticks SHOULD be the same.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want to check your memory, www.memtest86.com is a good bootable test that you can download. I'd leave it running overnight.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice