1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PNY Verto G4 Ti 4200 w/ a 300W power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackfriar, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackfriar

blackfriar Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am putting together a new system here's what I got:

Pentium D845PESV board w/ P4 2.4b (onboard sound and LAN)
    512M 333Mhz DDR Ram
    120Gig Maxtor ultra ata 133 HDD
    P4 300W power supply

I want a descent graphics card, and a saw a PNY Verto GeForce 4 Ti 46200 64M for a good price ($99) on sale at CompUsa.

The problem is that along with other requirements it lists a 350 watt power supply.

Does anyone know if it will work with a 300Watt?

Thanks

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

I recommend looking at different video cards or upgrading to a 350-400watt power supply.

It might run certain programs on 300W, but it'll probally end-up shutting down your PC, or just not work at all.

3. blackfriar

thanks for the reply,

I just had someone else tell me that the card will run fine with a 300W power supply - he said if it seems to be shakey I can always upgrade the power supply later.

It does use the same chip that other brands of cards don't have a minimum requirement for power supplies.

I still don't know, any 3rd or 4th opinions :)

4. blackfriar

Just in case anyone else was wondering a similar issue,

I contacted tech support at PNY, and recieved an email reply that said the card would function properly with a 300W power supply,
    however they recommend 350W and if I run into stability problems I should upgrade to a 350W power supply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!