1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

POE adapter and remote management

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MrsRodgers, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsRodgers

MrsRodgers Thread Starter

Hello! I am new here, in hopes that someone a little smarter than I can help. Here is my scenario:
    I have a teen who spends too much time on the internet. Yes, I can turn it off, but that is not what I want to do. I have searched for a router with parental controls that will allow me to block certain devices at certain times, and I have not found one. I did find a service called Web Curfew, that allows me to do just that. Which brings me to this problem: I have an internet service called Mountain Broadband. I have a receiver on the outside of my house, and a cable that comes from it, running into the house. That cable is plugged into a POE, and a LAN cable is coming out of the POE, then into my Netgear router. I have set my router to remote manage, but Web Curfew cannot connect to it because
    "your router is not currently holding your public IP Address (the one we would use to contact you). The receiver device in front of it is. This is a common configuration and you need to “bridge” the receiver so that it acts a simple dumb modem rather than the MODEM + ROUTER it is currently acting as (you effectively have 2 routers in your home although you don’t know it).
    Can you call your ISP customer support and ask them how you can “bridge” their POE adapter so that your router can obtain the public IP Address. They should be able to help you as lots of people want the ability to remote manage their router.

I called my ISP...and as told by the owner...why don't I just turn it off. After getting into an email argument, he told me that all I needed was to ask for a public IP address. Can anyone tell me what really needs to be done in this situation? I would be eternally grateful.

Melanie

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Realistically you need both a static / public IP address on the gateway side of your router, so if your ISP is not willing to do that for you, then you could do away with the web curfew service and just configure the Family Safety settings for your child's account. Lots of features and control, of course your child's account must not have admin rights. In addition there are also the standard software you could use, like NetNanny or WebWatcher, etc.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm confused by your use of the term POE. POE or PoE in the networking world stands for power over Ethernet. This is a protocol to allow device to get power over an Ethernet cable. What I think you're referring to is a modem. If the device the ISP provided you is a modem/router combo which is pretty common, you would need to bridge the modem/router to be just a modem. This will allow your personal router to be directly exposed to the Internet with a public IP.

Something concerns me however with your communication with your ISP. They said if you needed a public IP, then you need to ask for it. You need to find out exactly what they mean by this. Digging into the ISP, it looks like they provide microwave services for people living in high elevations. I've never worked with microwave service so you'll have to see if it is even possible to have your personal router to be directly exposed to the Internet.

4. MrsRodgers

CleaverX, thank you. I believe my ISP will eventually give me one. It is a small ISP, owned by two people. He had a bad day today, and decided to focus on the fact that I asked about the original router they provided me, instead of my real question. When they first installed our service, I was given a used Trendnet N300 and charged $45. Now that I have done my research, I found that my internet wireless connection problems were probably due to the fact that the N300 was not enough router for a 3000 square foot log home. Not to mention that they are $20 new....anyway, he focused on that, and didn't bother to read the rest of my email, which contained the same information I gave here. He did say, if you wanted a public IP address, you should have said so. Well, my reply was, that if I had known that is what I needed, I would have asked for it in the first place. My new router is great, and everything is staying connected, as it should be. As far as forsaking the outside service, and configuring the Family Safety settings, as I stated in my original post, there are no such settings in any of the router Parental Controls, across the whole board of manufacturers. I had been researching this for a month,, and yes, you can filter the sites they look at, but you cannot go to the router, see each individual device, and set time limits for each one. For instance, Netgear has a relationship with OpenDNS. You can go to their Parental Controls, but you can only limit the sites visited for the whole entire household, not each individual device. There are a whole lot of parents out there, just like me, who want to do the same thing with their router, hence the Web Curfew company. I used to have Century Link for my ISP, and that feature was built into their router. However, getting less that .5 mbps was unacceptable.

5. MrsRodgers

Zx10guy: Ok, let me try to explain. On the outside of my house, right outside the window, at the tallest peak, they attached a small receiver type thing. It points directly at a mountain, miles away, that I can see. That is where they have a tower. They drilled a hole through the wall, and pulled what looks like a black ethernet cable through. They then plugged that cable into a very small black box, that resembles a power adapter. That little black box is labeled 'Carrier POE Adapter'. On one end, it has the power cord, which goes into the outlet. on the other end, are two ethernet spots, one labeled POE, and the other LAN. The black cable that came through the wall is plugged into the port labeled POE. Another cable, gray, is plugged into the LAN port, with the other end plugged into the INTERNET port on my router. The device they originally provided me with is a Trendnet N300, which is a simple router. I have no modem, at all. And if I had know that I needed a public IP, I would have asked for it in the first place. I didn't, and really, still don't know what I need. If in fact that is what I need, I wish the customer service rep at Web Curfew had just said that. However, he is not familiar with my type of service, either, so I imagine there is a lot lost intranslation. I did try to just plug that black ethernet cable straight into my router, and of course that did not work. The POE has to be there, or I don't have service.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think (couldn't find absolute confirmation) that you have what is sometimes called "Fixed Wireless." The company has a tower somewhere high and if part of your house has line of sight they install a small disc antenna. Often, I think, a company like this provides the customers with a private IP address. Think of it as them having a wireless router and each customer has a wireless bridge. All the customers connected to that "router" will have the same public IP address.

If I'm right about the above, they're telling you that if you need it they can provide you with a public IP address instead.

That "POE" thingy can be considered a "modem", but really it is just "translating" between the wireless outside and the ethernet you need inside. EDIT: On second thought, the POE is probably providing power to the (hidden) device that does the "translating."

7. MrsRodgers

TerryNet, you are most likely correct. That sounds exactly like my set up. So, I must wait for a public IP address, as there must not be another way around it.
    Luckily for me, I am good friends with the secretary there, and she is trying to initiate the address with one of the techs. I thank all of you for your input!

8. CleaverX

CleaverX

9. MrsRodgers

Yes, I am aware of that, but I must not be explaining my self well. There is more than one device. There is an Iphone involved here, and I cannot manage her phone by using the parental controls on her computer. Ineed to be able to go into the router, and manage all devices from there.

10. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK but how will you have control when the child is using a data plan or is at a different location using a wifi connection outside of your network?

11. MrsRodgers

CleaverX, we live in the mountains where our cell phones don't work, hence the need for a Verizon extender. If I disable her phone through the router for a period of time, she won't be able to use either thing. And her location does not matter, as we live in the mountains, and she spends her time either here, or in town with me. She is 14 years old. I want to disable the phone and the computer during the night, and set time periods during the day when she can only use one device at a time. For instance, her phone will not be available for use during the time she is doing schoolwork.

12. CleaverX

CleaverX

Ah, I remember those days when mine was that age, of course back then there were no smart phones or Facebook. Good luck, I am sure you will find some kind of solution that works.

13. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is a firewall which will support what you're asking. My SonicWall firewall has the ability to set a rules such as block HTTP traffic. The rule has several parameters which you can set such as this rule is active from this time till this time on particular days. The rule can also be set to apply to specific IP addresses and if you want to get even deeper specific users through a client which can be loaded onto the PC.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice