1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PoE Power pinouts and IP Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Networking' started by runswithscissors, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runswithscissors

runswithscissors Thread Starter

I am using a IFS 24-port Gigabit Stackable Managed PoE Switch IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) 1 U and have a power question. I am using it to run IP security cameras on a job and don't have the switch on-line yet. The cameras are going in and we are unable to power them/ aim and focus without it. Is it possible to make an RJ 45 "adapter" to temporarily power them up at the camera? My thoughts are to find the pins that provide power from the switch, make an RJ plug that only has 2 wires in it and connect them to a separate portable power supply, then plug directly into the camera for setup. Then land the switch when the rack is ready.

Q: 568B is what they will be wired for, which pins are for power ( P+ and P- )

Q: What is the correct / standard voltage from the PoE port ?- or does this depend on the camera?- it shouldn't, the cameras are not field selectable- they are IEEE 802.3af.

Q: Can this be done? I only need power for now and I have a separate video out on the cameras for a test monitor.

....it's more of a Tech guy/ bench guy question I know, but I trust the opinions here. Any help is appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice