1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pogo games

Discussion in 'Games' started by sl1mdoggsmom, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sl1mdoggsmom

sl1mdoggsmom Thread Starter

I can't log into a room to play games. I have followed instructions exactly as recommended by the pogo site. I set java sun as recommended by their techs. I have trouble getting onto some of the other game sites also. I used to be able to log onto these sites up until a few months ago. please help. thanks.:confused:

2. ljsc1

ljsc1

Hi there,
    I am having the same problem.. Up until yesterday I could play Word Whomp with no problem, today no way...says I have a corrupted or misinstalled Java. I am at a loss what to do... I wrote Pogo techs but haven't heard back yet. This is real frustrating as I am sure you know. I hope they fix this and hopefully someone here can help. If I get any results I will let you know. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Please let me know if you find an answer. Good luck to you

3. RT

RT

Hi folks,

Just trying let all the pogo plagued people know what I've found out about this problem.

See this thread

(Welcome to TSG, sl1mdoggsmom)

4. jonstrong

jonstrong

We've followed Pogo from a slightly different perspective probably, as we've been building our own site and games with similar (though far from identical) technology. I'm posting in this thread because we've run into several of the same challenges that the folks at Pogo (now EA of course) have been wrestling with.

Some of the problems, as was already noted in this thread, relate to the JVM. As with Pogo, our games are built using Java 1.1 since it's virtually everywhere. Although using a later version would give us better tools, less bugs and more power, it would also require most users to download a multi-megabyte JVM, so like Pogo we've opted to remain with 1.1 for now and work around the problems.

Unfortunately, there were a number of bugs left in 1.1 that *nobody* intends to fix. For example -- there's an obscure (and ludicrous) trick that you must employ to make sure that the use of sound in your applet doesn't totally consume your users' Windows virtual memory. Certain graphics operations that *should* work also consume virtual memory and eventually cause a user's PC to seize and require a reboot.

Various versions of the Windows VM (their new name for their JVM) also yield differing results, and the legal skirmishes over the past year screwed things up for a while in terms of the availability of the Windows VM.

I believe I saw a reference to the "clear out your temp files" trick on this thread. That's an important one, and it *does* fix some problems.

Although we don't know precisely WHAT is being fixed, we HAVE seen that when users run all available updates via Windows Update at Microsoft, a whole slew of problems with our applets disappear. If you haven't yet, I'd suggest you try that and see if your problems at Pogo disappear.

At one point, we were almost hopeful that MS wouldn't continue to distribute the VM, because we felt that Sun's distribution would be better and once all were *required* to download it the world would be a better place for us Java applet folks. But our testing has, unfortunately, shown that while Sun's JVM fixes *some* of the problems, it actually introduces other subtle issues that are NOT problems with Microsoft's JVM.

We don't know any details about what's going on inside Pogo and EA, so all of my comments here are based solely on our personal experience with them or other info we've gathered on the web. But there are a couple of telltale signs that they've run into issues that are basic to their overall architecture.

For example -- ever notice how many "Temporary Rooms" there are in the popular games? This suggests that the original design never allowed for dynamic addition and relocation of rooms from server to server and that their current naming is the result of some kind of technical kluge -- and the situation is no better now than it was a year ago.

While some people love the idea of "back doors" to Pogo, it actually creates problems because popular back doors sites drive traffic to specific Pogo servers rather than letting their top level processes distribute traffic in a controlled fashion.

On Sun's website, there were a couple of white papers about Pogo (since Pogo was built around racks and racks of Sparc servers) - I imagine that they're still there. Coming from a software architecture background, I was stunned to read that a Pogo software person (and please forgive me if my memory of this is incorrect!) was very happy with the inexpensive Sparc servers because they made it so easy for him to "load balance the site, moving games from one server to another merely by unplugging a hard drive and moving it to another server". Even as I type this, I'm hoping that my memory of this is incorrect or I imagined reading this -- but I believe that my memory of this is accurate. If this is so, it's one more indication of a less-than-optimum architecture. It's fairly ludicrous to think of redistributing server processes by physically shifting drives among machines when the whole thing can be accomplished with logical processes that load balance server tasks.

A friend-of-a-friend told me that he had heard (sorry this is so vague and unreliable) that he heard that they had spent quite a bit of time trying to get away from their old architecture that required 250+ small servers and were trying to move to less, but far more powerful, servers. While this is a nice ideal in some respects, my guess is that it opens several new cans of worms that may have been unanticipated. For example: when one server only has to support a maximum of 500 to 1000 concurrent players, this limits the number of TCP/IP sockets that must be open on that given machine and instance of the operating system. By consolidating processes onto more powerful, but fewer, machines, they also wind up pushing the TCP/IP stack to levels of performance and simultaneous socket counts that have rarely, if ever, been challenged in commercial applications.

Finally, when EA acquired Pogo, their databases and much of their architecture had to be merged and/or converted so that EA.com and Pogo could share resources. Then there's the added burden of allowing automatic access to Pogo games for ALL AOL users. My guess is that there has been a LOT of software patching, work-arounds and kluge jobs in general just to keep the whole thing running.

On top of that, I read on one message board (all hearsay, but it sounded convincing) that Pogo's customer support staff was gutted as EA laid off many people over the past year to cut costs.

All of this spells huge challenges for them, and may help explain so many of the problems that people have been encountering.

- Jon

:)

5. RT

RT

Thanks for that info Jon, glad to have you aboard!

I had no idea EA was behind that site, that could explain why some are not getting good support from there.

Hopefully what you suggest will be helpful to many:

6. ljsc1

ljsc1

Thank you Jon,
    I did clean out all my temp files before trying again and just now checked for updates to windows (I was all updated there) and still nothing...Any other ideas??? :) I am open to try anything...I really miss that site. Any way...thank you alll soooooo much for the help. Have a good day.
    Tina

7. ljsc1

ljsc1

Wow I just read your whole thread Jon...amazing...well I am glad it isn't my computer and glad to hear for both you and RT that it isn't only me...Well I guess I will just wait and see and learn to deal with no Pogo...lol...the addiction isn't good for me any way...lol...Thanks for all the interesting info Jon and I will keep checking in to see if anything is found out to fix this or these problems.
    Take care all and thank you alllll so much
    Tina

8. sl1mdoggsmom

sl1mdoggsmom Thread Starter

I just want to say thank u 2 all who have tried 2 help. I am still at a loss with this Pogo thing and I am still open to suggestions from whoever has anymore ideas. Thanks again 2 all. -Sue

9. ljsc1

ljsc1

Hi Sue,
    I am still in the same boat as you....I can't get into Pogo at all...I guess I give up...if you are interested I did find a game site similar to Pogo only I think the graphics are even better and I do like most of the games I have tried. I think this place is my only solution the games are similar like for me I LOVEEEEE Word Whomp...they have a similar game in there called cash word..it is done on a cash register instead of the gophers..Any way I think this is my only solution and from a lot of people I know that go to Pogo they aren't happy with them..Pogo I guess got tooo big, many are moving to this new site. The site is called Ion Thunder...it doesn't have as many people on it yet so chances of winning are better. I believe they will take many from Pogo..any way I just thought I would let you know from a players point of view I think you will like them..Hey I have NO problems getting on them..I am confused as to why I can get on there with no problem and Pogo ALWAYS have a problem and can NEVER get on. Well good luck with whatever you do.
    Tina

10. ljsc1

ljsc1

I don't know if anyone else saw this page or not but I thought I would share this with you all just the same. I received this in a newsletter I get and thought it would be good for us all to keep on hand...just in case :))
    http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html
    The site has downloads to Microsoft Java VM and Sun Java VM too..It also has complete instructions on how to install. Hope you all can use.
    Thanks,
    Tina

11. rattler

rattler

Hi

I couldn't get into pogo either. I could at work but not home. I spent weeks trying different things that I read here and at other forums. I didn't get any errors, it just wouldn't let me in any of the game rooms to play (would stop loading at the halfway point) even though I could navigate around the site. Finally I tried something just because I couldn't think of anything else and can get it to work. I use AOL 7 but once I get connected to the internet with AOL, I minimize it and open up the Microsoft Internet Browser. Then I go to Pogo from there. I can get in any of the games/rooms now.

Kim

12. FLdaydreamer

FLdaydreamer It's My Birthday!

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here, but have been tinkering with PCs and on line since 1997.

I, too, am a pogoholic and could successfully enter and load all the games until I rebuilt my PC. I tried all the suggested fixes by Pogo (reloading Java VM, clearing temp files, etc.) nothing worked.

A little digging on the Pogo help site finally provided the correct answer. Turns out Pogo didn't like my new Linksys network card. I switched back to the old 3Com network card and things have been good with Pogo ever since. Linksys isn't the only network card Pogo has issues with. Below is the article from the Pogo Help site.

13. ilona53

ilona53

I have the Linksys NIC card and won't change it or get the Sun version of VM. I finally figured out my problem with pogo...I have Spybot and in that program it has a 'Hosts' listing which I had enabled at one point in time...then after pogo had done their Wednesday 'maintenance shutdown', I was no longer able to play at pogo.com! :( After much searching through everything...I realized it was that 'Hosts' listing in Spybot that kept me from getting into any of my selected 'rooms' in pogo, so I disabled the 'Hosts' listing! That was almost 3 weeks of no pogo :eek: ... now I am back to my games there again. :D :D

14. parrotfish

parrotfish

Games stopped loading when I switched from dial-up to cable line. I have a Linksys card and didn't change. Kept IE and use Netscape for pogo. Works great!

15. Kathie19692

Kathie19692

hello everyone i c that im not the only one having problems with pogo. well first of all i was having freezing after intermission, then the problem started with java script errors and some other crap, so i downloaded java sun. now i cant even get into any of the games at all, i have cleared out temp files numerous times, i have deleted cookies as i was told to do, i have done everything they have said to do, as for this internet card crap they are talking about its a load of crap, cause my mom has the same card as me and she has no problems getting onto pogo. soooooooo i need help here if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it :)
    also i have dsl and i never used to have these problems, the more maintenance that pogo does the more problems i seem to be having!

ty
    kathie

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice