Point 2 Point wireless goes down every few months

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DocShock

We have a point 2 point wireless network set up here (D-Link DWL-220AP) that seems to go down for no reason at all every few months (there's no really pattern to it). The connection is erratic for a couple weeks during that time (and sometimes requires a reboot) and then goes back to normal after those couple weeks and then is fine for another few months.

These units (the send and receive) are connected to cylinder style antennas which are a few hundred feet apart. It's difficult to blame the antennas or the connections to them since the connection always seems to come back and work fine for months at a time. It seems that if it was the antennas or there connections that it would be more frequently. Also, it is not weather related (as I once thought) as it occurs it fine weather too.

I really have no idea what is causing it? I doubt it is the settings because it seems if it was the settings than it would be down all the time and would require some changes on both ends. Recently I disconnected the receive unit from it's antenna and brought it over to the send unit so that they were side by side. I than disconnected the send unit from it's antenna so that they would only point at each other physically. I ran a ping test for over and hour and didn't have a single drop. This makes me think that both units are fine and that it is something in between the units that is causing the problem.

There are other wireless networks in the area and a radio repeater, but again if these things were the cause why would it work fine for months at a time, wouldn't these things cause a more frequent problem?

Anyone have any ideas on what else could possibly cause such problems? I'm pulling out my hair.

Thanks.

What are the routers 2.4 or 5.8 ? Do people have nextells near the APs are there other APs in the area around yours? Cordless phones?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online