1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

POINT OF INTERESTP: how to set a flash drive as drive a:\ or b:\

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slythe, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slythe

Slythe Thread Starter

I was just thinking the other day it'd be nice to not have my drives start from c:\ but rather from a:\
    Some older apps i work with (why i don't know) require any a:\ drive to load bootable files etc and having a flash as a:\ (even for ReadyBoost) would be kinda usefull!

if anyone can suggest how i could do this (windows partition manager only allows you to start with c:\ even if you have the controller disabled...)

Thanks!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Slythe

Slythe Thread Starter

what i'm actually looking for is for windows explorer to recognise the drive as a:\. not necessarily for booting up coz i know how to do that.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, but you asked that you wanted to start from the A:\ ...so I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking...

If you want to start from the A:\ drive then thats booting from the A:\ drive.

If you want to just use a USB drive with the drive letter A:\ then you should be able to use Disk Management to re-assign the USB drive to A:\ as long as you don't have a floppy drive as A:\

5. Slythe

Slythe Thread Starter

i've tried that. i disabled the floppy disc controller in the bios and in windows but the drive assignments only start at c.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In Disk Management it doesn't allow you change it to Drive A:? It doesn't automatically do it, you need to manually change it in Disk Management.

I have Vista, I quickly disabled the Floppy Drive Controller and it allowed me too to change it to A: or B: Maybe its different in XP, don't have an XP box in front of me.

Or another option is to use the SUBST command to redirect a driver letter to a folder on your hard drive, then you don't need to use the USB drive for the older program that require a Drive A:.

SUBST: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/subst.mspx?mfr=true

7. Slythe

Slythe Thread Starter

hmm..... i had too much trouble with vista... *sigh*
    but i'll try it now with the subst thing thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice