Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

POINT OF INTERESTP: how to set a flash drive as drive a:\ or b:\

786 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Slythe 
#1 ·
I was just thinking the other day it'd be nice to not have my drives start from c:\ but rather from a:\
Some older apps i work with (why i don't know) require any a:\ drive to load bootable files etc and having a flash as a:\ (even for ReadyBoost) would be kinda usefull!

if anyone can suggest how i could do this (windows partition manager only allows you to start with c:\ even if you have the controller disabled...)

Thanks!

#4 ·
Slythe said:
I was just thinking the other day it'd be nice to not have my drives start from c:\ but rather from a:\
Some older apps i work with (why i don't know) require any a:\ drive to load bootable files etc and having a flash as a:\ (even for ReadyBoost) would be kinda usefull!

if anyone can suggest how i could do this (windows partition manager only allows you to start with c:\ even if you have the controller disabled...)

Thanks!
OK, but you asked that you wanted to start from the A:\ ...so I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking...

If you want to start from the A:\ drive then thats booting from the A:\ drive.

If you want to just use a USB drive with the drive letter A:\ then you should be able to use Disk Management to re-assign the USB drive to A:\ as long as you don't have a floppy drive as A:\

#6 ·
In Disk Management it doesn't allow you change it to Drive A:? It doesn't automatically do it, you need to manually change it in Disk Management.

I have Vista, I quickly disabled the Floppy Drive Controller and it allowed me too to change it to A: or B: Maybe its different in XP, don't have an XP box in front of me.

Or another option is to use the SUBST command to redirect a driver letter to a folder on your hard drive, then you don't need to use the USB drive for the older program that require a Drive A:.

SUBST: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/subst.mspx?mfr=true

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.