1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Point Of Sale Machine

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jvic, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvic

jvic Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    We recently got a new point of sale (debit) machine.They require us to assign it it's own IP address.The company can't tell us how to do this.We are running a netgear router model # wnr834bv2.I hope this is enough information for you to help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the IP will need to be assigned in the PoS machine NOT on the router,
    I assume you have a PC connected to the router - if so post an ipconfig /all
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the support site for that router http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2617
    setup manual here ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR834Bv2_SM_16May07.pdf
    so we can go through the settings if required using the online manual

i would just point out i know nothing about PoS machines - but to set up a fixed IP you will need to get into the PoS software and setup the configuration - whats the make and model of the PoS - perhaps I can find something on the web.

3. jvic

jvic Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    I'll get the information in a couple of hours when the store opens however the company that supplied the pos machine said the ip has to be assigned in the router.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - I dont understand that myself - but as i say i dont understand PoS systems

Is the router dedicated to connect to a particular ISP service for PoS, then you may have to used a fixed IP address in the router to connect to the service - looking at the manual, this is a standard router that you connect to an ISP

would you mind just letting us know - is this a standard connection to a Broadband ISP service via a modem - or is this equipment - modem/router only for PoS ?

5. jvic

jvic Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    It is a standard connection to a Broadband ISP service via a modem

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep, thats what I thought .....
    looking at reference manual ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR834Bv2_UM_03Jul07.pdf page 4-3 (59 on pdf manual) explains the dhcp function
    BUT also has a reserved function using the MAC address - page 4.4 P60 on the pdf reference manual.
    - but perhaps a PoS expert will reply as I say i'm dont know PoS
    what country are you in?
    whats the make and model of the PoS

7. jvic

jvic Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    As I understand from their letter they have to be able to type an ip address at their end and have access much like remotely viewing security cameras if this makes any sense.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    oh OK - out of my range of knowledge - wait until one of the network gurus, join, they are mostly US based time zone...

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you clearly need more information about the POS machine and exactly how it should be configured to solve this issue. If the company you got it from can't tell you how to connect it and get it running, I'd suggest you get it from a more competent company!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I take that as meaning a remote site needs to be able to access the POS machine; that is, they need to know the public IP address. If you have a static public IP address (assigned by your ISP) then you're ready to configure the router/POS so that the proper port(s) are forwarded.

If you do not have a static IP you should first find out if the remote site can work with a symbolic name that will resolve to the current IP address (such as by accessing google.com by that name instead of by the IP address). If so, then you can use one of the dynamic name services. I haven't checked to see if any are free for business use, so am not including any links. If they can only work with a static public IP then you need to upgrade your service with your ISP.

EDIT: I want to make clear that I have no clue why they need remote access to your POS.

11. jvic

jvic Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    yes we have a static public IP address (assigned by your ISP)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then etaf's post # 6 is the next step--make sure the POS's private IP address remains constant.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice