1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pointer freezing up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cats8, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

I am running windows ME. I use internet explorer and have DSL.I have a hub so I can run my HP digital camera, HP 7260 printer that came with it, HP deskjet 612C and HP scanner 3400c. I have scanned with AVG and lavasoft programs and there were no bugs.
    It doesn't matter if I am using word document, on line or email. My poiter just freezes and I can't do anything to fix it. Also dropdown screens start appearing all over the screen. This pointer causes the page to move up and down on its own. I have to keep shutting down manually and rebooting only to get it right back again. Please help...it's driving me crazy !

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Do you have another mouse you can try? Is this one able to be opened and cleaned?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Cats8:

What brand name, model name, and model number computer do you have, and how much RAM is currently installed in it?

You've got a lot of hardware attached to that computer(2 HP printers, a HP scanner, and a HP digital camera). If the startup load is bloated because of several hardware-related entries(which would start with hp), it's possible that this might be causing the mouse to freeze. What do you think, A_C?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Possibly.

5. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

Hello and Thank you for the warm welcome!
    To answer flavallees' questions... System manufacturer is Micro-Star International Co. LTD.,System model is MS- 6163, system type is x86-basedPC and Memory 224.0 MB of Ram.
    Yes AcaCandy, I do have another mouse to try but it instructions say to delete driver that is working now and I don't know how. I have cleaned this one but it is still acting up. Being new at this problem solving is extremely frustrating to me so I apologize for appearing so dense.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Uninstall the mouse software in Add/Remove Programs(if it is listed there).

Shut off the computer completely.

Replace the old mouse with the new mouse.

Start up the computer, at which time Windows will recognize the new mouse.

Insert the driver software for the new mouse when prompted to.

(Note: The new mouse should come with instructions, so read it carefully because it may advise to do certain steps differently)

7. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

8. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

I don't have the mouse listed in add/remove programs..It is in device manager. Is it safe to delete it from there ? Thank you....cats8

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I wouldn't worry about deleting the mouse entry from the Device Manager. My guess is that it's running off of the built-in Windows drivers.

What type of mouse are you currently using? It may have software for it that you can download and install.

10. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You quoted me, but I see no reply. :confused:

12. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

13. cats8

cats8 Thread Starter

My apologies flavallee.....I did attempt to send quote and the pointer went all over again. I wasn't sure if it got to you or not. This problem seems to be getting worse
    and frustrating me moreso than ever! I
    I have a pc concepts mouse. Can't I just plug another mouse in without deleting the driver I have for this one ?
    Thanks cats8

14. dr20

dr20

Hi you can plug in another mouse and the Windows driver should be adequate. The only difference would be is if your current mouse has its own separate software such as for a wheel etc. many of those functions in the replaced one might not work properly.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Get a good, reliable mouse, such as a "Logitech" 2-button mouse with a scrolling wheel. Get an optical model instead of one with a ball in the bottom. You can get one for $20 - $25 at "Walmart" and most computer stores. It comes with a CD to install the driver software.

Stay away from those "el-cheapo" and generic brand mice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice