1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pointer not moving, Touchpad or Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StoneAgeMan, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Thread Starter

Pointer stays in centre of screen, and does not react to Touchpad or wireless mouse.

I have uninstalled the Mouse, physically disconnected it from the USB port and seen it go from the Device Manager, in order to work first on the TouchPad. I checked the TouchPad driver and it says it is up to date. I uniinstalled it and watched it re-load the driver on a reboot. Still no response to touchpad (or touchpad buttons). There have been no hardware changes or key events in the recent life of the Laptop which would make me suspect any loose connections or damaged components.

So assuming that the TouchPad is dead, I reinstalled the Mouse and tried to get that working. At first, nothing at all, but at one point I was getting some movement... but nowhere near a usable interface for man and machine. The damn pointer seemed to take delight in getting near to where I needed it to be and then refusing to get the last half an inch no matter how far I moved the Mouse. The displayed movement was jerky and intermittent, with stubborn refusal to move followed by warping to the other side of the screen. I tried swapping the USB connector for the wireless mouse to a different port, no change. I checked the driver was up to date, it is. While it was still working, I went to the configuration menus to adjust the speed, tried a trail, adjusted sensitivity, hoping to find that something had been messed up that could be fixed. No change.

I am very tired of seeing the Device Manager saying "This Device is working properly". The next thing this device will be doing is achieving escape velocity from my bedroom window, along with the Laptop.

PC details:
    Packard Bell EASYNOTE TN65
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    3.00 GB RAM
    32-bit Operating System
    Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2.

Synaptics Touchpad
    Microsoft Mouse

The PC is around 5 years old, has a great screen, but wasn't used much until recently. It hasn't done a lot and isn't worn out, just might be a heap of junk. I would be interested to hear any thoughts.

2. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Thread Starter

Further PC details;
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Model 23 Stepping 10

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430 256Mb

Motherboard: Packard Bell BV, Etna GM

AntiVirus: Virgin Media Security Antivirus, Updated and Enabled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice