1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pointing Devices toward Drivers????? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boing, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boing

boing Thread Starter

Hi Awesome Group!!! I'd like to know the procedure for pointing a device to a driver. ****Explaination**** I removed the software for my printer (USB)
    and tried to reinstall it. I followed all the instructions but it never did get to the point where the icon is left on my desktop. The software isn't in the program menu either. I thought If I deleted the USB that when I restarted it would clear that usb port of the original software so I could reinstall the software and have it automaticly point to the drivers needed for the printer.
    NO LUCK.... I think my problem is being able to point my device toward the drivers. How do I do that??? Thank You, Boing

2. rugrat

rugrat

Did you try removing the printer itself, reboot then reinstalling the printer? It should then ask for the driver.

SeeYa

3. boing

boing Thread Starter

Hi... Thanks alot for responding... YES I took the usb cable out and started the proceedure of install just like I did when it was new. It gets 3/4 of the way through the software walkthru and quits. It doesn't ask me anything.
    There is a point were it says looking for driver but nothing else shows up.
    When I'm done I can't find any software for it installed. It's not in the program menu or in the add/remove list.

4. doogdoog

doogdoog

Aloha,
    I had a problem with my Hp 7110 printer a while back and the hp tech said to uninstall the software and then reinstall it. I uninstalled the software using the Hp uninstaller and not from the control panel add/rmv programs and when I tried to reinstall the software, it would say it is already installed. After fooling around with it for hours, I finally deleted everything I could find that said Hp in the registry for my printer. I was finally able to reinstall the software but I don't know if you have the same problem. Did you have a problem when you removed your printer software? Did you use the printer uninstaller (the right way)or did you just uninstall it from the control panel add/remove programs. Before you go deleting anything from the registry (very dangerous) I would go to your printers web site and see if they have any suggestions for your problem. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

5. boing

boing Thread Starter

Greetings... thanks for the response. The problem all started when I deleted the software for the printer and I removed the software from add/remove . I'll try to get the lexmark people on the phone today (always busy) eeeeeeek.... and see if we can walk thru the location of the lingering software.
    Thanks again, I'll post when I get thru to them. BOING

6. boing

boing Thread Starter

actually now that I'm thinking about it... I deleted with the uninstall tool that came with the software not the add/remove and there were no shared folder warnings that came up. I'm still waiting for lexmark but if you have any ideas in the mean time.... I'll give it a try. Thanks great people!!!
    boing

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice