1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Polarized fuse

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by ekim68, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekim68

ekim68 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    I just ran into this on a board repair...A fuse that's like a diode....Apparently with two different power supply's, batteries and adapter, there has to be a fail-safe in case one or the other fails...And, the other lives on...Typical surface mount..

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there a question?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A diode with a limited current rating will act as a polarized fuse, kind of... :)

4. ekim68

ekim68 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    No. Just bringing it to light. However, I'm having a heck of a time finding a replacement.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you find a link to anything about this, please share it.

6. ekim68

ekim68 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
  7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Murphy's Law: Any semiconductor device connected in series with a fast acting fuse will blow first, thereby protecting the fuse. :eek:

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you've decided that the fuse is definitely (or probably) the thing you need to replace, I doubt you're going to find one easily or at all. You may as well replace it with a fuse and diode in series. That should work just as well (barring any space problems, but it can't be that tight, can it?).

Any markings on the component or board to indicate polarity direction?

9. ekim68

ekim68 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Actually Elvandil it's an interesting looking thing... I'll take a picture and try to post it tomorrow.....
    But the problem is resolved....Seems the fuse rested on several traces and did a couple of things.
    One of them was charging the battery with a continuous voltage of 5.5....The other trace carried the 9 volts to the main operation...The battery pack was bad, so it might have had an effect on the fuse to cause it to blow. I removed the cable from the battery terminal because the user said they didn't use the battery at all.
    I installed a pico-fuse, sp., with the correct rating and everything is working....
    (BTW, I don't usually do board repairs anymore because the surface mounted components are so small and just the presence of a soldering iron will make them shrink in terror.)
    But, this was a friend's machine and I had to take a look....;)

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Good work. Surface-mount is not fun to work on. I was modding a scanner and had a resistor stick to my iron. I had to use a sewing needle to get it off and was sure it was burned out, but put it on the board, anyway. It worked, but that is the last time I ever attempted work on a $700 device with my gigantic (seemingly) hands. :D

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

With the correct tools, most surface mount products are not that hard to work on. The only stuff I don't tackle anymore are the really fine pitch components like processors and support chips. There are just too many pins that are too close together. :) Resistors and caps are pretty easy as a rule, and small logic chips only slightly more difficult.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice