1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

policy and security on windows xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leis, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leis

leis Thread Starter

THIS is or may be related to other post(s) or other people may have similarly asked or requested some help or suggestions pertaining to the same as my thread that I might have overlooked those posts....(sorry) and Thanks for bearing w/me....

The issue or difficulty I am experiencing are understanding the tightest or what I would like to have tightest security on my (xp pro running machine) single or standard domain (?) that is--I have no network! I am stand alone computer using DSL services thru AT&T / Yahoo w/their provided 2wire router/modem/broadband component or that that has come with signing up w/their DSL services, if anyone or most people, likely, are aware or familiar. NOTE: This stems or derives from my machine's attack from recent spyware that resulted w/machine taken into my computer tech repair guy for reinstall and / or reformat, etc....(clean and started over---). However, once home and re-installed or newly installed windows xp pro, I ran free antivirus avg and found spyware on first scan. I use yahoo email, if that's important or of record to note, etc....that's, incidentially yahoo/at&t's dsl services home page, but I use other or shorter -- like Google....just for addl' info.

The bottom line on the sharing access in network policy are defaulted to allow it looks like just about everyone or thing, that is a few lines of codes and abbreviations that maybe, some of you might familiarize right away(?).....and the second question is in the same network access shares----or it's configured to DSM or something like DS (and dollarsign$)I believe, and the bottom line here, or not to sound too tight---but I don't need nor like idea of sharing any files, or things on internet other then those here or in my personal email --- the remote stuff is still in the learning stage (upstairs) nah, joking, but I'm still taking in the remote registry and those remote things.....

Can anyone comprehend then my question; I guess it would be as aforementioned, I'm trying to understand and put policy or permission on the administrative acct. name I log or call up (not the administrator acct. but the acct that is or was named by me and my computer repair guy, say, for instance Doe Admn. and the NO group accounts (is what my pref. or policy there is) it's just the understanding and learning on policy.
    Also, something else, if I go to the (and this is no briner for most, I'm sure is what you might "dahh" after reading) but I got a little spooked when (and this is only due to that last nasty takeover, destructive and annoying spyware attack that left me broke(r) but I'm a little intimadated and unsettled, etc. with alot of the safety issues, problems, etc....but the other (and this is minor or could be classified as a no-brainer to answer, but I'll have to re-read on policy permission, local IE security sets, etc.....anyway.....when I go to access the internet options, simple pull down from tool bar in or on IE browser, you know, it says, denied due to admn. privilege or right(s) so for now, I hop into control panel (of course), open the internet opts or internet settings there and do my thing. So, I guess my question pertains to the policy permission issue and changing or setting same.....

I use now and seem to get along and like better, the ZoneAlarm firewall (just f.y.i. if that's an incentive or better plus-up to anyone or part of newly discovered better protection and running firewall--if that counts, etc...)

I have online freeware of AVG spyware running w/it's co-VIRUS ware and when can be hopefully had in the future, plan to upgrade to ZAlarm's side of the fence on or in those 2 big ones, antispy and virus wares, for further protection, just f.y.i.

Thanks for reading, if so, your time and response therein is reatly appreciated.

T/Care**
    Leis

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice