1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Polynomial Array formula

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by NightRider, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NightRider

NightRider Thread Starter

Does anybody know of an Excel formula for a 4th order polynomial trend? I've been able to write one for a linear trendline but all attemps at a non-linear trendline have failed. I need the formula, not just the graphical representation which I can get in a chart, so that I can analyze the data.
    Thanks.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Look on some search engines. Don't the examples in Excel point in the right direction?

3. NightRider

NightRider Thread Starter

I've been reading the results from various combos of 'Excel polynomial trendlines formula' searches via Google for the past 4 days and I'm only getting more confused. Excel help does have some formula info, but it is not very specific. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Don't ask me!! I have problems with monosyllabic speech much less polymorphic polynomial formulas.....LOL. I'll see if I can find aything else.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Polynomial Array formula

Obviously, you didn't read the part in the agreement about using foul language!

:D

I'm looking too.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Don't laugh at me if this doesn't help. I found it in "my files".

starting in Row 1, insert the desired polynomial in this format:
    =a*(1)^m+b*(1)^(m-1)+…j(1) + C
    where m is the greatest desired power of x, a,b,…j are the corresponding coefficients, and C is the constant in the expression, if any. (1) is a placeholder for the next step, replace (1) with:
    (Row()-n)
    where n is the value of 1 more than the absolute value biggest negative value in the desired domain (x-values). Copy the formula down n+p rows, where p is the value of the greatest value in your domain and then graph the results.

???

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice