1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor audio quality - Is it the sound card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightnb, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

My audio sounds slightly distorted (especially the high frequencies) while listening to MP3's at a normal listening volume. (and there’s some air noise, only when a song is playing)

A) The Source CD had copy guard protection, which distorts sound quality when transferred to a computer.

B) The songs were recorded at too low of a quality, because the person who made them was frugal with HDD space.

C) The sound card is of poor quality, and isn't "rendering" the sounds correctly.

If "C" is correct as I suspect, what sound card would you recommend?

I listen to Music, and watch DVD's on my system. I'm not really into gamming. I'm looking for high quality, and willing to pay a little more for it.

I would like Dolby 5.1 SS support.

I have heard that Audiogy (SP?) is pretty good.... there’s like 8 different grades of it though, so I’m a bit unsure of which is right for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated as usual.

2. Morania

Morania

You probably can't go wrong with the Audigy cards or any of the middle to top end Sound Blasters. The cheaper SB's give distortions- that you may be experieincing- on some mother boards. I have a little machine in the bed room with one in there and the voices sound like robots many times.

Check out Turtle Beach. They have good cards for a little money and the sound control software is pretty cool. They usually ship with mixers and custom stuff in the software bundle. I have a old Quadzilla 2 in the game machine here and it's still kicking. This one doesn't do surround sound from the CD player but the new ones do. My neighbors can hear Godsmack from across the street when I wind this one up.

Bottom line. Stay with the well known sound guys and you should do ok without having to hire a research team to compare products. Be willing to drop a couple hundred geeta on a card and you'll be in business.

Don't forget to have good speakers.

3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Try going to Start/RUn and type in "dxdiag" without the quotes. THere is a tab for checking all your sound functions there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/130721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice