Solved Poor connection on new laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hisraad

A bit of an amateur here but if anyone can help I'd be very grateful. I haven't tried to set up a new PC in years and years, so I hope this one is something obvious!
--

I bought a new, boxed-up laptop today (HP, Intel Celeron, 4GB RAM, 1TB storage) and have had a lot of trouble getting the thing to load any given website. The laptop itself doesn't seem especially slow, although it's not exactly impressive. And I'm sure it's not my wifi at fault as I'm now using a friend's laptop in the same room with no difficulty.

But the new machine is extremely slow opening most webpages. Using Firefox or Edge I just stare at a spinning cursor until it gives up. Using Chrome it simply crashes as soon as I open the browser.

What's puzzling me the most is that as the day progresses the problem seems to be getting worse. Earlier I could get on to most websites okay but some would just not happen. Later I could only get Youtube (which worked fine for some reason) and Twitter (text only, no images loading). Now nothing at all except Firefox's default homepage.
--

I'm not sure if I'm being let down by the hardware, Windows 10 or something else. Is there some setting I should have adjusted or some driver I should install?

Thanks in advance - I have no clue what to try.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Honestly, that sounds completely normal for what you bought.

You have an HP laptop, which HP is known for all kinds of issues dating back years ago with their Entertainment series' laptops.

On top of this, you have a measly Celeron CPU to power it, with only 4GB of RAM.

Sounds like it's working ok, just about how I'd expect a Celeron CPU machine with 4GB RAM to function.

It could also be a bad Windows patch as well, as I just had a similar issue with a bad patch on a client's lapper I had to fix.

TerryNet

Terry
I agree with Andrew about Celeron not being worth the cost savings, but suspect that there is something else going on here. 4 GB RAM should be enough for internet access, even with Windows 10 and a Celeron CPU.

Is the problem identical with both ethernet and wireless connections, or is one a little better?

Have you installed the latest drivers, especially the networking ones, from HP's web site?

Have you determined that Windows 10 is not hogging 99% of the bandwidth for its pretty much uncontrollable downloads of Windows updates and newer versions?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I have worked on MANY Celeron systems over the years and have had these issues with most all of them. I just assumed it was always due to the poor "horsepower" they had.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The Intel Celeron processors are indeed at the lower end of performance
However this is a NEW laptop and therefore it will have one of the new Celeron family
For instance
http://ark.intel.com/products/122824

and despite them being at the lower end of performance levels they are a very different processor to the original and now long extinct Celeron family

I agree with my good colleague TerryNet
I agree with Andrew about Celeron not being worth the cost savings, but suspect that there is something else going on here. 4 GB RAM should be enough for internet access, even with Windows 10 and a Celeron CPU.
My first questions would be
1. What AV are you using the included Defender or HP`s included trial of some third party AV
2. When you first connected the laptop and followed the account setup procedure you would then automatically commence a series of updates to Windows 10
It may well be that these updates are the problem although such updates should only occur when you are not using the computer -

When you post back we will continue with an analysis and advice
What I would stress is that on a laptop ONLY purchased TODAY - you would be best advised not to try any third party solutions you may discover on a web search such as the so called make it go faster programs

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
I agree with you , Mac, but only to a certain point. I was referring to the NEW Celeron chips above in my previous post. I have used several of the new Celeron chips and still find them to be "weak" and power less chips. Any laptop, even new ones, that I have used or worked on with the new Celeron chips have been very slow and "lacking of power."

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think it best to wait for a reply from Hisraad

However if the problems are indicative of simply the lower performance of the CPU and ram
Sounds like it's working ok, just about how I'd expect a Celeron CPU machine with 4GB RAM to function.
then the description of the problems is not what I would expect
But the new machine is extremely slow opening most webpages. Using Firefox or Edge I just stare at a spinning cursor until it gives up. Using Chrome it simply crashes as soon as I open the browser.

What's puzzling me the most is that as the day progresses the problem seems to be getting worse. Earlier I could get on to most websites okay but some would just not happen. Later I could only get Youtube (which worked fine for some reason) and Twitter (text only, no images loading). Now nothing at all except Firefox's default homepage.
The other comment is what I would expect to see
The laptop itself doesn't seem especially slow, although it's not exactly impressive.
It could be as you said a windows update
Although my money is on the AV and possibly with Firefox and Chrome installed one may then start to look at what is actually running and using system resources

Hisraad

Sincere thanks for the responses.

The Celeron thing - I wasn't expecting an impressive machine for the money I paid, but I don't think it's functioning normally. It's not that it's slow, so much as it can't view most websites - this forum included.

Macboatmaster:
The AV question - I'm using the Windows Defender it came with.
Updates - yes Windows 10 installed a bunch of updates straight off. It's not currently installing anything.
And I wasn't going to risk installing any third party stuff - I wouldn't trust myself to identify a reliable programme. Thanks for the advice though.

Terry - I don't know if I can answer your questions!
*Is the problem identical with both ethernet and wireless connections, or is one a little better?* I don't have an ethernet cable around here: I'm afraid I couldn't tell you. The problem is idebtical no matter how good the wifi signal displays - how many bars - if that helps. It's exactly as bad with 4 bars held right next to the router as in the attic.
*Have you installed the latest drivers, especially the networking ones, from HP's web site?* No. I can look for them on a different computer and install them, but where would I find them and what would I look for? That one sounds like it could help but can you give me a push in the right direction?
*Have you determined that Windows 10 is not hogging 99% of the bandwidth for its pretty much uncontrollable downloads of Windows updates and newer versions?*
That also sounds like a likely suspect, but no I haven't checked. How would I check that?

Thanks again. Will check back with any updates asap.

Hisraad

There is a McAfee trial with it. Those buggers have caused me trouble int he past. I'll start by uninstalling AV programmes.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just hold your horses a few minutes
If you are still with the topic
There are checks to be made

Hisraad

No worries - I'm with this thread as long as it will have me. Not done anything yet. :)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Check please on taskbar if windows defender is turned off
OR go settings
Update and security
Windows Defender and check there
Does that indicate that McAfee is the active AV

TerryNet

Terry
*Have you installed the latest drivers, especially the networking ones, from HP's web site?* No. I can look for them on a different computer and install them, but where would I find them and what would I look for?
HP's web site, Support section, for your model, mostly your wireless driver, but all would be good.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online