1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor connection until I change my MAC Address?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cdseasholtz, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cdseasholtz

Cdseasholtz Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have been having considerably slow internet compared to the other guys I live with and decided to investigate. I have run the speedtest.net on a good chunk of their computer and they all get around 40 mb/s while I am getting 2 mb/s. I have figured out that when I go in and change my MAC Address, I am able to get the same speed that they do for a short amount of time, but after a while(I haven't figured out a time interval) my speeds go back to the 2 mb/s. I can then go back in and change the address again and the same thing happens. I thought I might have a virus, but the different scan that I have tried running show nothing and when I do netstat from the command prompt, nothing abnormal shows up.

Does anyone have any idea on what this might be or what might be happening to my computer? And I am sure it has something to do with my computer, because I booted from an old hard drive and the same thing happens.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. hpb

hpb

I'm assuming you are connected through a WiFi connection. Are you sure there isnt a bandwidth monitoring app installed on your machine? Try resetting your TCPIP settings too.

3. Cdseasholtz

I am not on wifi and I am sure there is no monitoring software on my computer, nobody has access to my computer except myself.

Edit: I used Microsofts fix it for me thing and that seem to have fixed the problem for now. I will check again after a while to see if the problem persists. Thank you for the help about the resetting tcpip

4. Cdseasholtz

After leaving my computer on overnight, the problem still persists.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice