1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

poor connection wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by okeee, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

there is a wireless router (sitecom wireless network broadband router 300n) at the 2nd floor, the connection is good at the floor above it, but at the 4th floor, there is 'poor' or 'fair' or no connection at all, wireless connection. how do i improve this?

2. hpb

hpb

Add an access point. However an addition of an AP will reduce your throughput. You can also devices that support WDS (Wireless Distribution System).

3. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

i have no idea what that is, or how to set up a network. i dont know about the technical details, i didnt connect the wireless network myself either.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If there are obstacles that can be avoided repositioning the router and/or adapter may improve the signal strength.

A better antenna on the router and/or adapter may help.

You could run a cable to the middle floor and install a Wireless Access Point (WAP). (You can use a wireless router as a WAP.)

A Range Extender (or Repeater) on the middle floor should help. (Look for a WAP that includes this mode.)

Some people have had good luck with Powerline adapters, but with some electrical systems they don't work at all.

5. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

there is another wired network on the 4th floor, can i somehow use it to connect to my mobile phone?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know nothing about the "another wired network," nor what you want to connect to your mobile phone, nor anything about your mobile phone. So, I will guess "maybe."

7. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

the other network is just the standard internet connection i use for pc. can i somehow set it to wireless connection for devices? how do i make such a connection, what do i need and what are limitations?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Fifteen years ago "standard internet connection" could easily have meant AOL dial-up. Today, with cable, DSL, fiber optic, satellite, fixed wireless, mobile wireless and others there is no standard.

9. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

ok what i meant was wired cable, broadband.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then why not just get your own wireless router to use with your cable service instead of trying to use some other service two floors away?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice