1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Poor Internet Speed ........ISP may be hiding truth

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sharky, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

12 years with the same ISP.
    11-12 MBPS had been our usual internet speed[pay for up to 20mbps]
    Never had issues.

6 months ago and almost without fail:
    Between 530pm to 11pm Speed becomes less 1 mpbs and complete internet drops
    The last month, this started happening increasingly during other times of the day.
    7-9 MBPS is now typical when the internet speed is not acting up, not 11MBPS typical like in the past 12 years

Everything has been changed out trying to solve the internet speed; modems,routers, wires.
    Problems occurs both with a wireless and direct internet connection.
    Internet comes through telephone lines.
    Have not added any new household electrical appliances
    Just a 1 to 3 devices may be connected to the internet at the same time. That was the same for years.
    Did all the reboots , all along.
    The ISP has 'taken steps' along the way at their end to try to solve the issue. They have checked the house inside and out. And said the connection is fine.

STILL
    Get 6-8MBPS not 11mbps like in the past 12 years
    The internet drops to less than 1 mbps between 530pm to 11pm almost every night.
    There is almost no ISPs competition in my area
    I have spent about about $10,000 with this ISP over 12 years

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Sponsor

3. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

How does your ISP rate at DSLreports.com?

Don't understand the time frame issue. The only thing I can think of is ingress in the line, or your router/modem is infected by a hacker. I have seen a lot of legit ISP IP addresses try to hack my website's and it's all from infected routers/modems. Best thing to do is make sure you stay abreast of firmware updates to mitigate having your router turned into a zombie. Not saying this is your issue, but it's all I can come up with at the moment. This just might be a case of a crap ISP.

4. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

"ISP rate at DSLreports.com?"
    -----Cant find a rating. They have a very good reputation in local forums. Never had issues for over a decade til 6 months ago---And the issue still may be not be theirs. but on my end.

" ingress in the line"
    ----I will look that up after i post as not sure what that is. UPDATE wonder if there are issues with the street lines

"legit ISP IP addresses try to hack my website's and it's all from infected routers/modems zombie"
    -------- I have considered that angle and it is a possibility. I changed out passwords, Changed out wireless routers. Routers said they were updated when i checked.

I can't mention it enough: almost every evening for months now, at 5:30pm-ish, the Under 1 MBPS speed shows up. Til about 11pm -ishPM. Although it is occurs in other hours.
    MY GUESS is, i read somewhere, most people go on the internet at 5pm-8pm, And that has something to do with it.
    Ingress in lines maybe? A hacker grabs my internet at those times?

The "Ingress in lines" sounds like something that would cost money for the ISP. Maybe they dont want to spend the money to take care of it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Your guess about heavy loading of the local ISP network servicing your neighborhood is probably the culprit. As you've stated, the time frames you're having these problems are typically when people get home and slam the ISP circuits going out to the Internet. Your ISP should be seeing this in their performance metrics and should be taking steps to upgrade the infrastructure servicing your neighborhood. That or start slapping the customers who are consuming way more bandwidth than they should be.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    If it's available look into upgrading to a fibre connection. I did that recently and I'm paying less than before for a connection that's almost 10 times faster.

If it matters I am in the UK though and I also changed ISP when I upgraded.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Fiber as a medium allows a lot of flexibility in the speeds it can support. But just because an ISP is using fiber doesn't automatically mean you're going to get a faster connection or not have to deal with bandwidth contention from others on your network segment. The confusion about what fiber brings to the table has been so muddied up by marketing that there are a lot of misconceptions out there.

8. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

zx10guy: "..heavy loading of the local ISP network servicing your neighborhood is probably the culprit.."
    managed:"...If it's available look into upgrading to a fibre connection..."

Two things happen at about 5:30pm-10-11pm:
    It is the most active time for internet users.
    It is when my internet speed drops to less than 1 mbps
    At about 11pm, the speed typically becomes normal again.

Heavy loading of the neighborhood ISP at that time, has to be the issue.
    The ISP must have concluded that by now and a long time ago, when i told them many times, the internet speed drops at 5:30-11pm

My ISP sent me an email yesterday and pretty much said they are done doing anything else about it.
    So i am paying for "up to 20mbps". Receiving 8-9MBPS when normal...Not 11-12 mbps like was normal for years. Between about 5:30-11pm on most evenings, i get less than 1 MBPS and repeated internet dropouts...which essentially means i have no internet most evenings.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

Somewhat of an update.
    The ISP is now pretty much convinced the problem is on their end somewhere, And not an inside the house problem. They also mentioned an account credit would be coming

The ISP is still tracking down the issue. For one, exchanging out equipment, whatever that refers to.

I will post closure to the post at some point.

10. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

New Equipment and a whole lot of new wiring[that was in poor shape] was installed at the 'ISP local building'. Not sure what type of building that would be called, a relay building or something.

Anyways my Internet speed is stabilized BUT it is still is not right. I still experience some minor dropouts and the speed drops to 4mbps at times, when normal is 11 mbps.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201818