1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Poor/No internet from access point, need help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PleaseHelpMeIamTiredofThis, Jul 12, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. PleaseHelpMeIamTiredofThis

PleaseHelpMeIamTiredofThis Thread Starter

Allright, so the thing is. I live in "big" house, so i need some access points to network it all over. My main modem is in livingroom downstairs , its ASUS AC-68U. The second router is upstairs, set as access point(ASUS AC66 and third router is set as access point too its Belkin and it's upstairs. Everything worked fine but i had to recconect to different sites and stuff like that when all worked as routers, so i decided to set them as access points but something is happening and i don't know what [profanity removed by mod] it is.

•All Wi-Fi networks are the same - Same network SSID, Same network passwords, Different channels for 2,4GHz (1 ,6,11)

•DHCP server disabled, all set for acting like access point.

*Current problem setting*
    ASUS AC68U- MODEM - IP:192.168.1.1 - 2,4GHZ channel 1 -Next to this working fine
    Belkin router- Access Point -IP:192.168.1.254 - 2,4GHZ channel 6 -Next to this working fine
    ASUS AC66U- Access Point- IP:192.168.1.179 - 2,4GHZ channel 11 -Im next to this-poor/slow internet

At this setup, when i connect my iPhone 6S next to ASUS AC66U, my internet connection is kinda slow, its takes so much time to load instagram videos, load instagram photos, load pages, but just in some time. Sometimes it act like normal and sometimes i cant get any internet but wifi signal is strong. I have same problem with another phones connected next to AC66U.

*Optional setting without internet problem*

ASUS AC68U- MODEM - IP:192.168.1.1 -2,4GHZ channel 1 -Next to this working fine
    Belkin router- Access point- IP:192.168.1.254 -2,4GHZ channel 6 -Next to this working fine
    ASUS AC66U- Router -IP:192.168.2.1 -2,4GHZ channel 11 - Im next to this.

When i set AC66U as a router, and its acting as router, like it has another ip adress (192.168.2.1) and iPhone adress is then 192.168.2.xxx . Everything works fine, no wifi lag, no poor/no internet. EVERYTHINGS WORKS PERFECT, except same wifi network all over my house, cause when i move next to Belkin access point which is giving adresses 192.168.1.XXX , and mine is 192.168.2.XXX from AC66U, i have to restart wifi and it give me new adress like 192.168.1.175 when in next to belkin. But when im next to AC66U it is giving me adress like 192.168.2.175.

So my question is, what i am doing wrong , when my wifi acts really poor when its set as *Current problem setting*

I am opened to answer all of your questions because i am really desperate of this situation. THANKS :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

This is the classic example of why I am not a fan of multiple independent wireless routers/APs being forced to simulate a single wireless network. You run into weird issues like this.

You probably don't want hear this, but I would dump everything you have with the exception of the Asus being used as your gateway to the Internet. Get a unified WiFi system like Google WiFi, Eero, Netgear Orbi, Linksys Velop, to name a few options to use as your WiFi system. This also means turning off the AP on the Asus you're using to connect to the Internet. Going this way, you'll get better reliability and better performance.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you know to which access point your device is connected?

This may seem like a trick question, but it is not. Windows does not necessarily connect to the strongest or stronger signal when it has a choice.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

This is exactly right. AP selection is never left up to the client device to figure out. In a proper wireless system, the system itself makes the decision for the client by steering it to associate with the best AP in the system; factoring in RF interference, signal strength, and load on a particular AP. You won't ever get that type of intelligence in single independent APs cobbled together. The situation is made even worse when you add in roaming where you walk from one end of your house to the other with your wireless device.

5. PleaseHelpMeIamTiredofThis

PleaseHelpMeIamTiredofThis Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies, i realized that my home network is messed up, so i have to invest some money to get more accesspoints with same brand and they have to be designed to work together, in the future i will use my asus ac68U as my main modem/gateway, and i will use access points from ubiquiti unifi, i just got ubiquiti unifi ac pro today, and it is working without any problems with perfect signal in my garden, and in the outside of my house because i mounted it on outside wall of my house. So my plan is to buy more ubiquiti unifi access points, because they can work as mesh system together. And they are made for working togeter. Then im going to invest for IP cammeras all over my house. So i think, thats the best choice i can made in this situation, except asus mesh system ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018
  6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Good choice. Glad the Ubiquiti UniFi is working for you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice