1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor performance with Hitachi HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mekanic, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mekanic

Mekanic Thread Starter

Hello,

I can't get DMA mode enabled on my slave drive. It's a Hitachi Deskstar 120GB IC35L120AVV207. It is connected with a 80 pin cable along with a Western Digital 80GB master HDD. The WD drive is DMA enabled no problem but the Hitachi is stuck in PIO mode.

[​IMG]

I ran the HDTach test and the results sucked :(

HDTach results

Is there something I'm missing somewhere?

System specs:

P4 2.53GHz 533FSB
    Asus P4T533-C
    512MB Samsung PC800 RDRAM
    Gainward GF4 Ti4600 Ultra/750XP GS
    80GB WD HDD - master
    120GB Hitachi HDD - slave
    Verbatim 40x12x48 CD-RW
    Sony DVD+RW DRU-120A
    Hercules Game TheaterXP sound card
    Antec TrueControl 550watt ps
    WinXP Pro w/SP2
    DX9c

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure the drives are jumpered correctly. One as master and the other as Slave OR try Cable Select on both drives OR set the WD to the "Master with Slave" jumper setting. Check the BIOS settings to make sure the drive is detected and DMA is enabled there.

Then there's these steps to follow: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

You should also install the latest Intel Chipset INF and Application Accelerator for best performance: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...SFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go!

Once you install the Application Accelerator you can check drive settings with it, it'll be under your Programs in the Styart Menu.

3. Mekanic

Mekanic Thread Starter

Thanks, that did it!

The application accelerator fixed the problem. I am forever in your debt :)

If you ever have a problem with an industrial diesel engine I'm your man :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice