1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor Photo Print Quality With Windows 7/Canon PIXMA IP4700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by sobroken, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sobroken

sobroken Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Got a bit of a strange problem here. Got a brand new laptop and printer, and suddenly I can't get a decent photograph print.

The printer is highly recommended, it's a Canon Pixma iP4700 which has had excellent reviews. But everything I print on it has no punch or sparkle, it's almost as if it has a grey film over it, a bit like I'm looking at my photo with cataracts! I printed the same photo on my dad's (much older) Epson printer and got a brilliant result.

I don't know if the problem is the printer, though, as he has Windows Vista and I have Windows 7 and have been using Google Picasa to import my photos. I am wondering if there is a setting on there that is colour correcting my photos either on import or on their way to the printer, as I am not used to Windows 7 yet.

Is there anyone here who can shed a bit of light on the problem? I really don't want to take the printer back if it's something I am doing with Windows that can be easily changed.

Thank you for your help!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

3. sobroken

sobroken Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have tried the latest drivers, and have tried printing the photos both from Picasa, Windows, and also Photoshop to see if it makes a difference, but it hasn't. Photos look fine on the screen, too. I can't bring myself to believe that it's the printer, it was advertised as Canon's flagship photo printer, and as I said before, it's had rave reviews.

I think the next thing to do will be to hook up my laptop to another printer and then my printer to someone else's computer to see which end the problem is coming from.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your help :)

4. Megabite

Megabite

Is there a setting for higher quality.....I have that on my printer...it takes longer to print but the end result is worth it.

Also are you using good quality photo paper

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

You are proceeding with a good troubleshooting procedure. You try your printer on another computer, and print the same picture with the same tool (for example Picasa). Then you also connect your computer to another printer, and again use the same tool. This is to eliminate the item (your printer, or your computer) that is not the problem, leaving the thing that is the problem.

Get back with your results, and then we can try and diagnose further, if needed.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

From everything you've described .. The only thing that's different that could be causing the problem ..
    Is the Windows 7 Print Driver .. 64 bit or 32 bit ???
    (unless this printer has the same problem on another computer)
    Have you tried to contact Cannon's support ??

As Magabite suggested .. Have you looked into the printer's setup options ??
    If I set my HP's to fast draft .. They can look kinda gray

You said the picture on the monitor looks good,
    So I doubt that there's a problem with the picture(s) .. Or the system color profile
    But I'd check the levels in Photoshop anyway ..

Attached Files:

7. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/926879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice