1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor, poor Poor Vista!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AngryVista, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngryVista

AngryVista Thread Starter

Dear Readers:

"upgrading?" from XP to Vista :

a) Vista is glossier
    b) weaker
    c) a total displacement from XP
    d) Don't do it! Stick to XP
    e) Movie Maker in Vista can't import mpegs or mp3s
    f) No accurate frame capture
    g) 100% frustration
    h) 200% frustration
    i) It is so, so pat-on-the back, "Isn't it Good!" But it isn't!j) It's a total Microsoft disgrace.
    k) Who supervised the Movie Maker transition from XP to Vista. Shoot him! It's ****!

VERY ANGRY !

2. virox

virox

I assume you have Vista Basic if you can't import MPEG into Movie Maker - I suggest you read the package details on the back of your box before purchasing an OS not built towards supporting advanced media solutions.

Better luck next time.

3. AngryVista

I asked for advice, not sniping. Do you have the solution? It's easy to offer platitudes.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do NOT have these issues with Home Premium, so it may be that you have Home basic and things just will not work with it.
    Remember that Home basic is bottom of the Vista line.

5. good grief

good grief

Windows Movie Maker is exactly the same in Home Basic as it is in Home Premium!

Although I haven't tried importing mpeg (I don't have any on hand), I have successfully imported and used mp3s in WMM in Home Basic. The attachment below shows what can be imported. As you can see, both mpegs and mp3s are included in the list.

What it will NOT allow you to do, is import copyrighted mp3s, and the same would apply to any other copyrighted materials. If they are not copyrighted materials that you are trying to import, then there is some OTHER reason why this is not working.

I hope you are able to get it sorted.:)

Attached Files:

6. AngryVista

Thanks, DaveA and GGrief.
    I'm familiar with the types of files that Movie Maker says it will import. The mpegs I'm trying to import are not copyright. It will, however import wmv files..but still not mp3s of my own making, or mpegs.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

7. virox

virox

You didn't ask for advice, you're ranting away showing your ignorance of the operating system. MPEG/-2 isn't an import option on Vista Basic - thus if you can not import it it would be apparent that you have the Basic version.

Right click on My Computer, select Properties, and check what version OS you're running.

8. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I have movie maker too on Vista, and find it is a lot quicker than XP ever was. Without knowing sys spec, it is hard to say where th eprob is, but it definitely isnt purely Vista. :)

9. AngryVista

Virox : Thanks for that.My OS is Vista Home Premium.
    You can import files with the following file name extensions into Windows Movie Maker to use in your project:
    • <LI class=listItem>Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv
      <LI class=listItem>Audio files: .aif, .aifc, .aiff .asf, .au, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .snd, .wav, and .wma
    • Picture files: .bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, and .wmf
    But for some reason it won't import mpeg or mp3s as XP did. And, yes, I believe I was asking for advice..and I still am!

10. AngryVista

Thanks anyway, Gulo..I still haven't solved it!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice