1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor quality of streaming videos

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by GrizzlyJim, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrizzlyJim

GrizzlyJim Thread Starter

Not sure which forum to use for this...Here goes... I've had this nagging problem on my computer for some time. I'll take a look at a streaming video to see new games or football highlights or whatever, and, I use Windows Media Player or Real Player and on both the picture is so small it's ridiculous in this day and age! And, on both, the video will start and then abruptly stop and I have to wait for it to reconnect with some mysterious server or something. The point being, the video quality is usually terrible and a lousy 20-30 second video takes a half hour to view! My computer is supposed to be top-notch, yet it's no fun using those two media players. What gives? I'm no computer whiz. I had mine built for me so I could play games and use my fancy art programs. How do I get the video large enough so I don't have to squint to try and see it and, how do I improve the performance of both Real Player and Windows Media Player? Seems to me that in this day and age, it's incredibly poor quality.
    My computer specs are as follows:
    Intel Computer
    2.2 Ghz CPU
    1GB Ram
    160 GB HD; split into two 80 GB HD's (C and D)
    Nividia 64 MB Graphics Card

You'd think with all that, that I'd get excellent quality. On DVD's it's fine, but streaming videos are terrible. Any suggestions as to what I can do to improve/enlarge them so I can at least SEE them? Thanks for any help

2. djdpimp420

djdpimp420

First of all make sure you have the updated versions of both. Secondly you can usually change the size by right clicking and setting the size or by clicking the view menu. Also check your display settings on the desktop by right clicking and choosing properties.

What type of internet connection do you have-dial up, dsl, or cable?

3. GrizzlyJim

GrizzlyJim Thread Starter

I have dial up

4. djdpimp420

djdpimp420

That's why the video only plays for a few seconds then has to buffer again. Unfortunately their's not a whole lot you can do about this. The problem is a standard video file is at least several megabytes and most dial up connections only allow about 10kb a second which is 1/100th of a Mb. I would recommend switching to dsl as it doesn't interfere with your phone,costs only about $10-$20 more and is at least 15 times faster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!