1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor Quality Video Transfer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Rob Nelson, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Thread Starter

Hi , I´m experiencing problems when transfering video from my Sony Handycam (DV) to my PC , or perhaps it´s better to say that the problem is with the quality of the video once burned. Whilst if connecting the camera to the TV gives great results on playback , I have found the picture quality is grainy if the video has been captured/encoded/burnt to DVD. I have used Sony´s software , Nero and Roxio all with disappointing results. My PC has XP , and I´m using the firewire cable that I was forced to buy as Sony didn´t provide one.
    Any help will be very gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance - a very frustrated Rob.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

First thing is where exactly is the video quality degrading? Sounds like playback off the camera is great so the source is good. When you get a video file onto the PC, then does that playback on the PC at the same or almost the same quality? I'm thinking it should be fine over firewire. So maybe that just leaves the quality of the DVD encoding and burning. Even at the best quality a DVD can produce you may be losing some quality but it shouldn't be too noticable unless you're trying to put too much on one DVD. One hour of video is all that will fit at full quality but usually its acceptable up to two hours.

If I haven't hit on any discrepency post back with more information about exactly where and how (grainy but is it as sharp or as colorful and free of pixelation and/or other artifacts?) the video is going bad, the step where it goes from good quality to poor quality. Also the file formats being used may help diagnose.

3. Rob Nelson

Thanks for the reply fairnooks. Even the quality of video played back on the PC ie prior to burning is not great. I guess it´s the same as once burnt , just less noticeable as the picture size is far smaller than once it´s being shown on a large TV. I´m only putting a hour on to the DVD - one hour of taping that takes up about 12GB of memory prior to encoding.When burning , the default setting is ´to fit disc´. The quality is grainy , but there is no pixelation. The easiest way to describe it is that it looks like something recorded on a camera from the 1980´s.The capture is DV-avi
    Once again , many thanks for taking the time to help me. Rob.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm afraid I'll be of little help remotely because it sounds like you are doing everything correctly in a stepwise fashion to preserve as much quality as possible. The raw file capture file size and format is fine, as is the length of video and fit to disc setting.

The only thing I can think of is if there is any sort of configuration possible with the capture software. Some have filters that can be applied to help clean up old VHS tape captures and the like and you probably wouldn't want any of those to be in effect (if they exist that is) when the quality is good. A sharpening filter maybe? I dunno.

Other than that I would be completely speculating from a different region of my anatomy so, I hope you find a solution.

5. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Do you do it off-line with all anti-s disabled, giving pc as much resources as possible for the operation?

If you can deselect viewing as it happens may help as well.

6. Rob Nelson

Thanks a lot for replying. No , I have been doing things with everything runnimg as it would normally i.e. on-line ,and anti-s running. I´ll change all of that and give it another go. Cheers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice