1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

poor sound quality on burned mp3

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kingocouch, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingocouch

kingocouch Thread Starter

I downloaded a few mp3's of old-time radio shows, and they play and sound fine through Windows Media. I burned them to a cd, and now there is a tinny/far away sound, like listening through a long pipeline. Any ideas?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Not sure I can help on this one kingd' but now that I know who you are Welcome to TSG ol' buddy! :D
    What software dod you use to burn the Mp3's?

3. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

If you have mp3 files on the CD, the files should be rigourousely the same as on the hard disk.
    Maybe the burning software (Nero?) re-encoded the mp3 one more time uselessly, hence the loss of quality.
    Or maybe you burned it as an audio CD, which means another conversion and loss of quality.

Just burn your mp3 as a data cd.

4. kingocouch

kingocouch Thread Starter

Yes it was Nero--but I didn't know you could burn audio files as data. I'll try that, thanks

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hmm... I've burned several hundred audio CD's with Nero, and I've never experienced any difference in quality in the output product. What bit rate are the MP3 files at that you're using? I stick with at least 128kbit, and I prefer at least 192kbit ones. When I'm ripping a CD, I do them at 256kbit.

I wonder if there's something about your sound mixer on the machine that's affecting the sound. How do they sound in an external CD player?

6. It Wasn't me

It Wasn't me

Hi kingocouch
    If you use Nero It has a Nero Wave editor you may be able to do some corrections on.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I guess my point is that you shouldn't have to do any editing on the files. If they play properly as MP3's, there's no reason I can think of that they wouldn't play properly after writing them to an audio CD with Nero.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!