1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by geofflowry, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geofflowry

geofflowry Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my SattellitePro 4300 laptop, increasing the ram and HDD. This required a reload of operating system (WIN 2000 Pro) and all drivers and software.
    Now the sound coming from the speakers or headphones, no matter what the source (CD's, MP3, or WAV files) sound like an old scratched record, with a "click" every 3 seconds. This is more noticable with loud music, and seems to be an "break" in the sound continuity every 3 seconds, just for a small period, perhaps less than a tenth of a second.
    I have done all the obvious things (updated sound drivers, etc.) but still the problem remains. All sound output experiences this problem.

The sound driver is Yamaha DS-XG.

Any suggestions what else I could try?

2. geofflowry

Well, maybe "fixed" is a little strong.

Not sure what I have done, but it did not include any more drivers, but merely changes to the settings and today, after I powered up this morning, the sounds is working without those annoying "scratched vinyl" simulations.

I'll have to mark this one up as "smoke and mirrors". :confused:

3. geofflowry

:mad: This problem came back as soon as I was powered up at home. After a little investigatvie work, it seems that I get this problem only when I my Ethernet PCMCIA card is not connected to the LAN. If I disable, this also fixes the problem.

So now I need to check the drivers for my Ethernet card to fix my sound??? :confused:

Quite bizaar!

4. geofflowry

Okay. All fixed now. :)
    After downloading and installing the latest driver for my Xircom PCMCIA LAN card, the sound is now perfect whether my LAN cable is connected or not!

Case closed!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice