1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor speed over FTP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Temilit, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Temilit

Temilit Thread Starter

I recently set up a ftp server running on my new 10/10 (mbit) fiber line and i've been noticing some speed problems.

Both over FTP aswell as Http transferee protocols I've been noticing upload (others downloading from m server) being slow capping at aprox 200kb/sec, However when i use a program such as SKype to send my files to my buddies it goes up to 800-850kb/sec (yes the same people who downloaded for 200 from ftp/http.

Now i was wondering if there is possible to fix so the ftp server uses maximum bandwith aswell?

any help appreciated :cool:

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What program are you serving FTP with? is there any type of user/group speed cap for download? Most higher end FTP servers have rules in place on their end to prevent the server from being bogged down. As well have you tried a non standard port maybe you ISP has throttled those specific ports due to the nature of what they represent (file serving and web serving)?

3. Temilit

Temilit Thread Starter

I'm using Bulletproof ftp server and it has no limitation which i've found, and i've been looking trust me :p
    and the Web server runs on a diffrent port than default and i still get the same problem with that one.

however i'll try some diffrent ports for the ftp aswell thanks for the tip.

4. Temilit

Temilit Thread Starter

So.. after trying different ports and searching even more for a some kind of speed limit i still got the same problem :>

anyone else has any idea?
    seems kinda strange, i wounder if i dare ask the customer support on the isp.. i bet i'll get something like "Are you sure you plugged in the cable" or something :> (yes i'm not a big fan of customer supports)

5. Mikrondel

Mikrondel

Well, HTTP and FTP both definitely use TCP - but Skype may not.

So perhaps it's an issue I uncovered recently that capped my speed - TCP Window Size.

This is the maximum amount of outstanding (unacknowledged by the recipient) data a sender can send at a time on a particular TCP connection.

Its absolute maximum (as specified by the current TCP protocl) is 64 KiB - if the round-trip between you and a remote host is 1 second, that means your speed is limited to 64KiB/s.

Over the internet, long round-trips are not uncommon.

On Windows the default window size seems to be 8KiB. I registry tweaked this up to its max, and my maximum download from the internet jumped from about 200KB/s to 2MB/s.

But note that, before I performed this tweak, I could have about 6 downloads all running at 200KB/s.

Maybe try having four concurrent downloads from your server and see how the speed of each is affected.

Of course maybe it's nothing to do with Window Size. But it's a good thing to be aware of.

EDIT: Yep, I hate customer support too. One time, though, I talked to the support for an ADSL modem - they actually knew what they were talking about, for once. They actually understood when I said that I had a Linux router that was too slow to handle a PPPoE tunnel. But I know exactly what it's like to be asked to endlessly try different cables, unplug all phones, use configuration defaults...

6. Temilit

Temilit Thread Starter

hm, intresting, while i don't have any trouble with download speed for some reason it's the upload speed which seems limited.
    I have however experienced having about 3-4 uploads all running at 150-200kb/sec at teh same time while a solo download won't go above 200 either so..

So, how would i tweak this up? i figure it's worth a try

Thanks for your help :>

7. Mikrondel

Mikrondel

Well, on Windows:
    Start regedit (If you haven't used this before, don't jump in without reading about it first. Modifying the wrong things can cause system damage.)

Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Add a DWORD key with the name
    TcpWindowSize
    and (hexadecimal) value 'FFFF'

Reboot. Observe. Good luck.

8. O111111O

O111111O

Could be window size, although you editing your window size won't have an effect on a 10MB connection unless latency is extremely high.

Have you checked for the obvious - Speed/Duplex. Any chance you have duplex forced to full on your system?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/505206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice