1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor Video Cam Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by firefly2, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firefly2

firefly2 Thread Starter

:eek: My Daughter just purchased a Genius VideoCam Trek Internet USB Video Camera to use on my system mainly on MSN Messenger. The picture quality is extremely poor after all adjustments. The transfer rate is also quite slow. Is my system too slow for this unit.

My O/S is Windows 2000, 256MB RAM, PC133 SystemBoard (Bus clock 100MHz) 900 Mhz Intel Celeron Processor, Broadband 256 Mbps. I have a Firewall (Zone Alarm) and AVG Antivirus. Hope I have provided enough information.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I guess it depends on your meaning of "poor quality"

Its only 0.1 MegaPixels after all, (352 x 288) which is a very low resolution (but not uncommon for webcams).

How do you connect to the internet?
    The speed of connection will affect the transfer rate, even at low resolution it's still a bit of data to move, if you were on dial-up.

3. kaaos

kaaos

if you buy a cheap cam you mostly get a bad image. how much wa it?

4. firefly2

firefly2 Thread Starter

MBPS
    Thanks for the interest. My Internet connection is by DSL 256 Mbps. She paid the equivalent of appproxiamately US 27.00 for the webcam.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Typical max DSL speeds that I have heard of nowadays are around 7 M(ega)bps. Are you sure you don't mean 256 K(ilo)bps?. Even when you you have a real fast residential DSL line, your uplink (outgoing data) speed is usually slower than your downlink (incoming data) speed.

A slow uplink speed might be the cause of slow/jerky video. I will agree with kiwiguy and kaaos that the camera itself is the cause of the poor picture quality. The resolution of your camera much lower than a standard TV picture in the USA.

--
    Chuck W.

6. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

If it's that crappy a picture then I'd resell it to someone else and go http://tinyurl.com/j22m3 or go for a better http://tinyurl.com/pdwxa

7. thecoalman

thecoalman

Would be the issue, if it's rated at 256 kbps (I'll assume a typo above) As the othe posted mention the upload speeds are generally slower than download speeds and those cams adjust for the bandwidth.

You can test you speed here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If none of those servers are close to you do a google search for internet speedtests to find one that is. Video requires quite a bit of bandwidth, if you don't have it then it won't work very well. Even if your upload speed is 256 that is still not very much.... You could try dropping the resolution, that should improve things as lower resolutions require less bandwidth.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice