1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Poor Wifi Range and Slow Speed all of the sudden

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tcbrett, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tcbrett

tcbrett Thread Starter

Hello all tech guy users!!

I am having a really frustrating time with my wifi signal recently.
    Here are the symptoms:
    • Max distance from router in which I can receive a signal is about 15 ft
    • Really slow upload and download speeds from MY laptop only.My fiance's laptop had a DL speed of 18Mps, and I don't remember the UL, but it was much better than mine. Screenshot to follow...
    • Internet will drop out while I still show connectivity to the router and then seconds later the router signal will drop out completely
    • Just now my signal dropped out and from my laptop which is sitting three feet from my fiance's laptop. Hers has internet just fine...
    What I have tried so far:
    • Changed Routers
    • Changed broadcast channel on both routers
    • Updated the driver for my wireless network adapter
    • Virus Scan
    • Malwarebytes Full Scan
    • Xirrus Wifi Inspector run. Screenshot to follow
    • Removed Windows' ability to shut off my network adapter to save energy
    This problem occurred for the first time one week ago today. I have been getting by since then, but the hassle is getting to me.
    Full disclosure time...
    Right before this happened, I had an issue with my laptop where the battery was not getting a charge. I tested the power available to the plug and found the proper voltage there. I took the cover off of the laptop and found that a solder joint between the power plug and one of the wires had come loose. I re-soldered the wire and it charged up no problemo...I took the cover back off this evening because I had a sinking feeling I messed something up, but I found nothing. The power plug on my Lenovo Y560P laptop is accessed from above the keyboard (just remove the speaker cover). The wireless adapter is underneath and I didn't remove it or touch it when I worked on it. I did take a look at it this evening and I did see that it only has one screw holing it down... There were no "witness marks" where another screw was installed at one time, so I just left it alone. Hopefully those don't provide some form of continuity to the board beneath. It doesn't appear so, but I can't be certain.

System Details:
    Lenovo Y560P just over a year old
    Windows 7
    i7 processor
    4 gig ram

I am student in my Junior year of engineering and I really can't afford to have these network problems... Almost missed an assignment submission last night!:eek:
    This has been an excellent computer until now. I have some pretty hefty programs installed for my classes and it runs them flawlessly. Also, the internet works great on campus, but I am never far from an N router hotspot.

Any help that anybody can offer would be greatly appreciated. I was almost about to make a Yagi antenna out of an old Netgear USB wireless adapter, then decided that I would just check here after I ran the speed test and figured something was up with my comp...

Attached Files:

2. Darvydas

Darvydas

I have the same problem, just my laptop is fresh bought. I also was trying to re install all available network drivers but no good results gain. One forum user said his opinion "Has the laptop always had trouble finding access points? If so, it could be a defective wireless card. Try using an external USB WiFi dongle and see if you are able to detect more access points. " I think first I will take my laptop to tech to see wheres the problem, u can try additional way buying external USB WiFi and see if it works finding more connections and having strong signal strength on existing connection

3. tcbrett

tcbrett Thread Starter

Just for comparison, I have attached screenshots of xirrus and speed tests with my computer connected at school.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If you already have the latest correct driver reinstall it anyhow in case it is corrupted.

Disable encryption on the router and test. If it works fine that way then try WPA-PSK (not WPA2) encryption.

5. tcbrett

tcbrett Thread Starter

TerryNet, Thank you for the reply. I had already downloaded the most up to date driver for my network adapter.

I changed the security settings as you mentioned, and no change was noticed.

6. tcbrett

tcbrett Thread Starter

I just thought to look at how much network adapters are, and I was pleasantly surprised. I have found a direct replacement for less than $15 shipped to me.

I am seriously considering replacing the adapter with a new one. Can anybody recommend a good adapter? The one in there now is a "half-sized" adapter.

I would be easily willing to spend up to $50 for one that people with experience would recommend as being worthwhile.

I have also seen ones with an external mount antenna. I am not too crazy about the idea of drilling a hole in my laptop to mount an antenna, but if there are other ways to mount these things that anybody can recommend, I am all ears.

Thanks!!!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the adapter or the motherboard (in the area where the adapter connects) is defective. If the problem lies within the adapter then a exact replacement is an ideal solution. Otherwise my suggestion is to just resign yourself to using a USB wireless adapter.

8. tcbrett

tcbrett Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet.

I will be hoping for the adapter and not the motherboard :eek:

I will order a replacement, get it installed and post up with the results.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice