1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pop on laptop keyboard!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ITgirl45, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ITgirl45

ITgirl45 Thread Starter

Ok, here's the lowdown:

My younger sister spilled pop on her laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520) and has since cleaned it up with a little water on a paper towel. I knew this is not enough, but she insisted it was fine. Only, when she went to type, her keys were wrong.

For example, the 'A' key puts in letters such as 'FDLKS'. This happens on the left side of the keyboard, which is where the pop spilled. The right side seems to work just fine.

I know that taking apart the computer and taking out the keyboard might be the way to go, but do any of you have any suggestions as to how to clean it? And if that is not possible, where would be a good place to get a replacement keyboard?

Thanks!
    ITgirl45

2. bigbear

bigbear

3. arknorth

arknorth

Actually I had to do that same thing resently, for pretty much the same reason on a Dell D600. If you can get all the sugar water out of the keyboard, then the best thing is to allow it to dry thoroughly. This is done by taking it out of the computer and laying it key-side down and allowing it to air-dry. In the meantime, you can also make sure that nothing leaked all the way through (keyboards are porus).

Drying a keyboard is not a quick thing - it took mine four days to properly dry, and it was only a small amount of liquid in it.

Removing the keyboard is actually simple - remove the cap section that the power button is in by using a blade to pry it off from the right side of the keyboard's housing (between the keyboard and the screen). Under it, you should find two screws holding the keyboard down. Removing them will alow you to slide the keyboard forwards slightly and up. Be careful in lifting it up, as they don't usually give you a great deal of cable between the keyboard and the socket it plugs into. Put it aside and let it dry, face down.

Allow it to air dry - using a fan or heat to speed up drying can actually harm the keyboard. In the meantime, after making sure that no other fluid is attempting to fry the processor, you can still use the laptop, as long as you have a plug in keyboard and mouse.

Good luck!

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice