1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pop Up Advertising

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Coorslite, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coorslite

Coorslite Thread Starter

Is there a program that can eliminate pop up advertisements, it's very annoying. Appreciate any help, thanks, Larry:(

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

yes there are programs to stop popups but they interfere with the javascripts & cause navigation problems & stops the links you click from working as well. I do not recommend them.

3. Signature

Signature

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I like The Proxomitron

www.proxomitron.org

It can be completely customized and has more features than most any other popup killer you will find. It functions as a proxy server and does not directly interfere with your browser in any way.

While it is true that some settings will interfere with Javascripts, this can easily be disabled permanently, bypassed temporarily (two clicks), or a particular website can be added to a list of sites not filtered.

Although it might take some time to become familiar with the capabilities, the help system is good and there are downloadable config files to address many surfing "problems", including web bugs.

Best of all, it's free, though you can register it by buying a cd of a Japanese pop band called Shonen Knife. I heartily recommend it.

From the Proxomitron.org site:

Enter The Proxomitron, Re-Writing the web Your way...

Using special HTML filters, the Proxomitron can transform web pages on the fly - changing most anything you wish. Speed your browsing by saying goodbye to slow loading cyber spam and other web-gimmickry. Customize pages to suit your tastes. Take control of your web viewing, and don't be slave to some web-master's whims.

It works with most any browser (not just the big two) and, for starters, can do the following keen things...

Stop or limit Pop-up windows
    Control MIDI music and other sounds
    Freeze animated .GIFs - load only the first frame
    Kill most all advertising banners
    Stop Web-Branding and other scripts added by web space providers
    Stop Pop-up alert/confirm boxes
    Remove slow web counters
    Stop web pages and ads from "auto-refreshing"
    Remove Dynamic HTML
    Prevent getting stuck in someone's frames
    Remove frames or tables altogether for that matter
    Kill or change selected Java scripts and applets
    Add your own scripts to pages!
    Remove or replace web page and/or table background images
    Stop Status bar scrollers
    Unhide URLs obscured by status line text
    Convert blinking text to bold
    Remove Layers and Style sheets
    And as they say, much, much more...

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I would imagine what works for you may not work for me. I can't even use a proxy server provided to me by my cable company . If I have it enabled I can't browse to certain locations on the web. Its not a security or net nanny issue either. Its navigational problems. So hopefully you can find one that gives you no problems.

Good Luck

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice