1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pop-up blockers...etc.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by justkidzmom, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justkidzmom

justkidzmom Thread Starter

Can someone please recommend a free pop-up blocker site and any other free "stuff" I can use to help protect my pc. The only thing I am currently running is McAfee Virusscan. I also have spybot downloaded and run weekly. I browse around quite a bit, play games, do some online ordering, pay some bills online, etc. I don't know anything about adware, spyware, shredders and stuff like that! I would like to be as safe as possible...Thank you!

2. dr20

dr20

One of the best free programs I've found yet is Proxomitron. You can set the web filters to block popups, auto-refresh and just about anything else. It takes a little configuring but is well worth it as it's not a resource hog. And the best part is it doesn't add anything to the registry, after you download it click on the icon and its loaded and ready to go.

Proxomitron
    http://www.jd5000.net/

3. justkidzmom

Is this Proxomitron something easy enough for me? You scared me when you mentioned filters and stuff like that...not familiar with configurations!

4. dr20

dr20

Proxomitron can be intimidating at first, even for someone who spends a lot of time working with computers. It's actually a browser proxy, which means it has to be configured within IE and/or Mozilla to work properly.

For that you'd go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings and check "Use a proxy server". Then go to the Advanced tab and type under Proxy address to use "localhost" (without quotes) in the HTTP and Secure slots. Where you see Port on the right hand side type "8080" (without quotes) in the HTTP and Secure slots.

For configuring the filters just click Help\View Help from Proxomitron. It explains each of the filters and what they do.

What is your OS? From what I understand Microsoft in XP SP2 is going to be making changes within the browser which will add new security features including a popup blocker and more control. If might even be worthwile waiting for that first but as far as third party software I've yet to find anything as good as Proxomitron when it comes to options and performance within the program itself.

5. dr20

dr20

Are you running a firewall? Proxomitron is useful in blocking popups and other annoying things that sites sometimes force on you. But for security the most important software to consider installing besides your anti-virus program is a firewall. I've used the free version of Zone Alarm for several years with no problems, but there are other good ones out there too like Outpost and Sygate.

6. justkidzmom

I am using W98. As far as a firewall...don't think so. I want to stop pop-ups and protect my pc as much as possible and I have heard there are alot of free programs out there but just aren't sure what to use. And I did not mention earlier, I am using DSL, not dial-up or cable...just in case that makes a difference.

7. dr20

dr20

Proxomitron would work with DSL. That's the only program I've used for a popup blocker but I'm sure other posters will recommend ones they've used successfully. I have heard some positive things about Google's toolbar but I would rather not add additional BHO's to my browser so it's about personal preferences.

Here's a couple of sites with reviews and downloads of dozens of free programs:

http://www.download.com/3150-7786-0.html
    http://www.popup-killer-review.com/

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice