1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pop up blockers

Discussion in 'General Security' started by willpay9, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willpay9

willpay9 Thread Starter

Hi all

Does anyone have any recommendations for stopping pop ups. I have personally never had a problem with these but I am sorting out a friends computer who constantly seems to be getting pop ups!

She has been running her pc for some time with no anti-virus installed (un-knowingly) and after running a scan in AVG it came up with lots of trojans and all sorts of crap which I have moved to the virus vault but this does not seem to have made any difference.

Please help as I think her sanity is coming to an end with this.

Cheers in advance

Will

@mods - I posted this in the software forum too so you can delete that one - sorry!!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, (I've taken care of the other thread in All Other Software for you)

Fixing these type of problems may mean that you will have to run scans over a time frame of a few days...it doesn't bother us to work that way, as long as you are able to do so.

An option would be to have the friend join TSG and do the fixing and posting logs etc.... again, we don't mind if you do it, but there will probably be a time lag for you both.

Here is what to do first (whoever does the work): Do this ON the infected computer! It's easier...

The friend could do this, and pass the logs on to you to post...or you go to their location and do it- especially if they are not too experienced, that latter option sounds best.

Hijackthis:
    go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Click the blue "Download the Hijackthis Installer" link
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop. DO NOT just press run from the website
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    don't forget this second part

Please also do this:
    • Open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button.
    • Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.
    • Click the "Save List" button. After you click the "Save List" button, you will be asked where to save the file. Pick a place to save it then the list should open in notepad.
    • Copy and paste that list here in your reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice