1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pop-up Blocking question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JustMe2, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Question...I would like to install a popup stopper. But which one? Free is great! Don't really get a lot of popups, like some people that I've seen posting here. The ones that I do get just annoy me.
    And...I am on a home network, accessing the net via a shared cable modem hooked up to a router. Am I going to have to make any specific settings once I download one?
    JustMe2

2. boyoh53

boyoh53

3. tonysi

tonysi

Pop Up Stopper is great. Easy to set up with no problems down the line that I have met.

I think they also have a free version.

Good luck

4. Zuki

Zuki

You might consider POW! by www.analogx.com. It is freeware and simple to use. Have been using it for some time. Pop up Stopper also works great but you have to press keys to get popup windows on the screen that your software may pop up.

I use POW! since it only elimates the popups you tell it too.

5. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Thanks all!
    Downloaded both of them and will try them out. See which one co-habitates nicely with the firewall, router, etc...
    Much appreciated!
    JustMe2

6. roosterman

roosterman

I personally like to use NoAds:

http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/

I like it because you add the pop-up ads to a list (so you can choose which ones to block).

7. soldier

soldier

IMO FreeSurfer is by far the best one. It has a multitude of extra options and does an amazing job even on the low setting (natural mode)
    Havent seen a popup in months :)
    For some reason it hasnt been getting a lot of attention... Oh well I still like it.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, its free!

8. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    MORE to choose from!
    This should be interesting...as I'm a lousy one for making decisions.
    Thanks everyone!
    JustMe2

9. DVOM

DVOM

I'm using AdSubtractPro daisy chained with Proxomitron. And MyIE browser with auto popup filter. Might be overkill...lol

10. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Tried Proxomitron. Followed the directions on the web site, and the next day, I couldn't access the net through my router. Probably did something wrong, who knows with me lately!
    Right now I'm trying Pop-UP Stopper. Mybe I"ll give it the real test and go to webring. That'll probably blow it up.
    JustMe2

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice