1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pop up preventing?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by osutank, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. osutank

osutank Thread Starter

hey all,
    a few months ago you all helped me out bigtime...now i need some more assistance. this is what i have...

I use IE 6. with netzero high speed. somehow i believe i downloaded some spyware, or adware...i have my cookies disabled, my pop up filter is on, and i'm still getting pop up advertisements every new page i visit...so my question is,are there any free services i can use to scan my pc to check for these pains?

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could use Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. It has a built-in pop-up blocker and actually has a sense of privacy and security unlike IE.

www.mozilla.org

To remove threats from your system I would recommend Adaware SE, and Spybot: Search and Destroy 1.3: http://spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#det

Also, do a virus scan. I recommend AVG free edition: www.grisoft.com

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

5. osutank

osutank Thread Starter

ok all...

i ended up downloading: search and destroy 1.3... i found 61 problems on my pc... i fixed them and then i go back on the net... and i still have the pop ups... is adware different from spy ware?
    any suggestions?

also when i first turn my pc on...i'm getting an error type message for windows explorer... any thoughts?

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Adaware will/can find different things so it is good to have both.

IF things do not clear up then get HiJack This http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html,
    put it in a permanent folder, run it , DO NOT fix anything, post the log here.

7. osutank

osutank Thread Starter

hey all...

i wanted to give everyone a quick update of what i've done... i've downloaded the search and destroy program.. and it found many problems...it fixed them, but then i kept getting the popups...and then i would run the program again and the same 1 or 2 problems keep popping up

the same thing goes for the avg virus scan... i find the problems..but they keep coming back...

then i tried to download adaware and i ran it... and it found 6 problems...but it wanted me to pay for a download to kill the problems...

so i'm going to keep going down the lists to try them all to get this crap off my pc...

any suggestions?

8. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

9. osutank

osutank Thread Starter

what's up all...i ran the avg virus scan again and wrote down the virus that won't go away... it is trojan horse backdoor agent.2.ay
    ever hear of it and how to get rid of it?

i will try the new adaware link...thanks

10. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

11. deubanks

deubanks

12. osutank

osutank Thread Starter

ok let me try this again...i tried updating this thread 3 times, but i keep getting knocked off

when i run AVG VIRUS SCAN: i am still getting the trojan horse backdoor agent notification that cannot be deleted, healed, or even thrown into the vault...

How can i get rid of this pain?

also i am getting the DSO Exploit when i run spybot...it says it's a hole in the IE program and it can be bad...

Without changing to another program...how can i fix IE or can it even be fixed?

also when i run ADAWARE, i am still getting various problems found with that... is that common since i have the trojan horse virus or is this something that just attaches to my pc since i'm using IE or the pages i visit?

13. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Go to the link I provided it has a cleaner

14. LinuxForMe

LinuxForMe

Another reason to use Mozilla and/or Mozilla's Firefox is this: They have really cool FEATURES Micro$haft hasn't stolen yet! Take a look at this graphic for a glimpse at some of its features.

15. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

FireFox WOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! Micro$haft is right that greedy theiving... Um some thing that rhymes with "bass turd" ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/299423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice