1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pop-ups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Arefjay, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arefjay

Arefjay Thread Starter

I must have installed a pop-up blocker some months ago but haven't been able to find its whereabouts. Often when I WANT to see, say a small pic enlarged, I get the message: 'A pop-up window was blocked'. Since I can't find any program stopping pop-ups on my pc, I've pored over the internet options, but no jouy there either. Enabling cookies is on, but I've got no clue how to remove this offending pop-up stopper....
    My operating system is Windows 98, 1st edition

2. ratchet

ratchet

Welcome to TSG.

Have you tried Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel?

If it is not there the blocker is in your startup menu I would suggest you go to, Start/Run. Then type MSCONFIG, then click OK. Then go to the Startup tab, see if you can't identify the blocker then do a search to locate it. Once found see if it offers an uninstall option.

If you are unable to uninstall it check here;

Windows 98/ME Startup

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Open Internet Explorer, then click Tools - Internet Options - Privacy(tab) - Advanced(button).

Select:

Override automatic cookie handling

First-party cookies - Accept

Third-party cookies - Block

Always allow session cookies

These settings will reduce the number of pop-ups and spyware-related cookies that your computer gets. (y)

then click OK - Apply - OK.

4. Arefjay

Arefjay Thread Starter

Dear Flavallee
    Thx for your reply. Unfortunately my Internet Options make no mention whatever of cookie options. I have a Dutch version but none of the translations match any of the English options such as 'Override automatic cookie handling' etc.
    Tell you what, though: I think have found a way to get round the blocker! When I first rightclick my mouse on, say, a thumb, wait till the menu has unscrolled and then leftclick the thumb again, once, I get the enlarged pic I'm looking for. The same procedure allows me to see a name-list which initially isn't displayed ('Error on the page; a pop-up window was blocked').
    Sounds like mumbojumbo, doesn't it, but it works (so far...)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice