Pop Ups

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jackrabbit

Is it my imagination or what? Whats up with pop ups? I once bought a pop up blocker but had to renew it every year, I think it is the pop up blocker makers making the pop ups! Forget the "FREE" blockers, they block all but their own. How's the ones shown here on this forum? I downloaded one once (From some where else) and got more than I bargained for. Wouldn't mind paying one time but not each year. :mad:

the only paid for popup blocker i've used is panicware popup stopper pro, it was like $25. worked great and i've had it for 3 years and have never renewed it. other then that i've always used google toolbar (when i actually use ie) but i basically just stick to firefox, very few popups, nowhere near enough to be deemed an annoyance. that and regularly scan my pc for spyware.

jackrabbit

I too use Fire fox, not bad on pop up control, better than IE. I once had Stopzilla, worked great, but you had to watch your credit card as they renewed your subscription each year. (I believe it was Stopzilla anyway) Worst one was a free one that showed a red colored hand (Forget the name) I was more curious as to whether or not pop up makers actually create the pop ups to begin with?:confused:

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
Have you also checked for viruses and spyware? That can also cause pop ups.

jackrabbit said:
I was more curious as to whether or not pop up makers actually create the pop ups to begin with?:confused:
very possible, there is a ton of extortionware out there, eg, spyware/adware is loaded, warning pops up "WARNING: Your computer is infected...Purchase now to remove". ect, you basically just need to pay attention to what you're downloading, try to stick to software and companies you've heard of and if you haven't google it, you'll find tons of reviews to know whether or not you're getting hosed.

jackrabbit

Yeh, I always update and run adware, and avast. Pop ups are not that bad I guess, maybe like 1 every 60 to 90 seconds. Adware finds nothing and I do not download anything free as I found them to induce pop ups. Even without any spyware or virus, what would you say is a normal amount of pop ups to be expected? Maybe mine is normal and it just me?

I have used PopupPopper (free version) for quite some times, and avoid all the popups that I do not want (there is a particular one it has not been able to stop).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online